Author Topic: Drum228.org  (Read 20253 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Drum228.org
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 12:40:16 AM »
Oh you mean like spammers?

I have the option to approve comments before they go though, but I hope I don't have to resort to that.

Man, I salute you Mark Allen for typing up all that war patrol stuff.  I'm hoping I'm cut out for that!

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 09:39:24 AM »
yeah...spammers   :knuppel2:

There was a time that I'd have to change the URL to the guestbook every other week because I'd get posts that would have links in them.

I did notice that you had that box where you had to type in the letters, that should stop a lot of it

As for the patrol reports...yeah, that was a lot of work.  I have the patrol reports on microfiche (this was years ago before I got them from John) so every day I'd walk to the library with a bag of dimes and print out pages.  Then I'd type it all in.  It took me a little over 3 months to get the 7 patrols put up.  I'm slowly filling in some of the stuff I didn't type at the time (ship and plane contacts)...but it was worth the effort as I get a lot of compliments on having them on the site.

Now that I have the patrol reports...and I have Adobe Acrobat 8...I wonder if I can copy and paste the text.  I may try that and see if I can quickly finish up the Batfish reports.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 09:56:16 AM »
You can copy most PDF files as long as Adobe translated the files into text and not a picture file.

We reenactors really appreciate having the patrol logs posted on the website.  It gives us a lot of insight and ideas for doing impressions.  Also, I think the 7th patrol log talks about all of the equipment mods that they made to the boat during the Feb. '45 overhaul, which provides a lot of insight regarding restoration activites.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 11:19:42 AM »
I'm surprised that the Drum doesn't offer a military vet discount for admission.  IMHO, this is a must for any military attraction.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 11:25:59 AM »
• Active Duty military free with military I.D.

That's all I see.  I'm not aware of a veteran discount.  The Batfish has a vet discount?  How much and how does one prove his veteran status?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2008, 11:37:34 AM »
We don't ask for I.D. We take people at their word.  62+ and Retired Military are $4.00.  14 - 61 are charged $6.00.  AAA members are $5.00.  Kids 7-13 are $3.00.  10 or more kids are $2.00 each.  Under 6 are free.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2008, 11:41:03 AM »
You can copy most PDF files as long as Adobe translated the files into text and not a picture file

And that's the problem...I believe what I have are images and not the text.  I'll have to try it and see, but I'm pretty sure what I read from the info that John Clear sent is that they were images.  Bummer.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2008, 01:33:39 PM »
The patrol reports from Mr. Clear are all exact copies - scanned at images.  There is no text to highlight.

I placed an order this morning for the Drum patrol reports.  350 pages and 13 war patrols.  Long road ahead.

MWALLEN, I need to find out how you went about getting the Maru images for each patrol. 

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2009, 07:14:26 PM »
There have been a few new guestbook entries on the http://www.drum228.org website.  What an honor!