Author Topic: From NAVAL HISTORY Magagine  (Read 7435 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
From NAVAL HISTORY Magagine
« on: March 08, 2009, 12:24:09 PM »
From the latest issue (April 2009) of Naval History published by the USNI...

Thought some might enjoy it.

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: From NAVAL HISTORY Magagine
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:55:10 PM »
Thanks for posting this... saved me a lot of running around.

Sad to say the numbskulls at NH magazine didn't vet this with us... there are lots of errors in the final graphs and it gives a generic tour of ANY fleet boat, leaving out lots of jucy tidbits WE WOULD HAVE INCLUDED... sad to say, we didn't submit anything because the editors at NH are not the most responsible... let's leave it at that.  Just wish we could have had a chance to offer some editorial input  this writer is just a visitor!  He shot our wad, so to speak, and we missed an opportunity to include some important news about COD, like her 50th anniversary of her arrival in Cleveland this summer.  Now I'm really gonna crap in the wastebasket of the Naval Institute's president next week when I visit ANNAPOLIS!!!   And I'm eating plenty of corn in the mean time!!!

:knuppel2:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 11:22:29 PM »
 :2funny:

It's too funny to see you stirred up, Paul!

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:42:58 AM »
Unfortunately it's sad that what Paul voice's is all too true when it comes to news or magazine articles.  Writers get a $5 VIP tour, take notes and have NO clue what any of that meant.  So off to Goggle or some other source to fill in the memory blanks.  After all to most one submarine is pretty much like any other.

Paul and others, maybe you should think of two things.  One is to prepare a standard news magazine article that you would like printed.  Remember that newspapers and magazines have space issues and will allow only so many inches of column space to articles.  Feature articles get more space.  Top stories take away space.  So your article should be one that can be trimmed to an acceptable level.  Tell your reporter and then take them on their tours.

The other thing is when asked for a special tour because someone wants to do an article agree with conditions that say you must agree to the final printed story.  You need to review and make comments before they print their stories.  Many people do this in other areas and it is a way of controlling the message.

Final word - you cannot be too technical.  Their readers will be average people who as you know do not understand the workings of a submarine.  Tell a story, keep it simple, and make it interesting.
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 05:20:29 PM »
Amen,

I just wish that more of our boats would get coverage especially when it comes to how much the crew has done to restore the boats back to where they look like they are still able to go to sea, COD does look and feel like she can go to sea and others are just happy to look like a submarine again and at the time frame that they have worked so hard to get to.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 12:27:44 PM »
Naval History Magazine is always ASKING FOR INPUT on the memorial fleet!

I was just not waiting for the right time to submit COD material...   guess it BACKFIRED on me!  My bad...

>:(

So follow the rules you see posted above (very good ones at that) and include some good pictures and you'll be in the pipeline. Don't wait till some numbskull beats you to it!
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed