Author Topic: Torsk Weekly Reports  (Read 8135 times)

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
Torsk Weekly Reports
« on: March 19, 2008, 07:54:44 PM »
If any of you are interested, I have posted this week's work report on the Torsk BBS. I usually have them posted by Tuesday or Wednesday for the previous week's activity.

Go to http://www.usstorsk.org and click on Torsk BBS to go there and see what we've been up to!

Gil

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Torsk Weekly Reports
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 09:29:03 PM »
That's impressive Gil.  The Torsk really seems to have a HUGE backing of eager volunteers.

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 06:25:00 AM »
Guys, I am extremely impressed with your volunteer organization and just a little envious also. It must be great to be able to work inside on a weekend. Right now we have just about given up doing any work inside on the Drum due to visitors, with spring break we are now getting 1,000 people a day during the week and we can't hardly move through the boat let alone do any work. Great job.
Tom Bowser

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 09:58:25 AM »
...with spring break we are now getting 1,000 people a day during the week and we can't hardly move through the boat let alone do any work.
  :o

I wish we had that problem.  :D

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 02:25:14 PM »
This time of year it is a bit slow with visitors and we can get much done. Most volunteers arrive at 0700 so we have 3 hours before the visitors start boarding at 1000. This allows up to do things with tools etc that we normally would not do with visitors walking through. Sometimes those three hours are golden. At least for me when I paint something or have a panel apart that needs scraping etc. The aft battery is a good place to go to finish a project if the visitors start boarding. Most are very respectful of what you are working on and do not keep you long with questions.  Some even say thanks for what we are doing. That is always nice.  Summer time is a different story. They file through in droves. No matter, these are the folks that keep the funds flowing.
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 11:29:59 AM »
I've been onboard working and we have pushed a few hunderd through and while it is nice to talk to them and tell them how she really works at time it has slowed us down to a snail pace and even stopped us from working, no big deal though.. we get a LOT of over flow from the aquarium when the lines are backed up quite a bit so we don't mind because there are a number of them who will donate on the spot to the volunteers for their hard work when they hear our story.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 09:21:24 AM »
I run into the same problem with the 1MC.  I'm looking forward to get the aft battery workshop setup so I can start hauling parts down there to work on.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy