Author Topic: EB playing cards  (Read 6130 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
EB playing cards
« on: April 01, 2009, 06:18:24 PM »
For those that don't know about the Electric Boat playing cards, they were made by EB in WWII and the diamond and heart suits were outlined in red so that those in red lights or goggles could still see the cards.

I asked about the playing cards over on Rontini's BBS just to see if anyone was currently making reproduction versions of these cards.

http://messdeck.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11918

I lit a fire under Paul Farace and thankfully he's really interested in it.  I'm hoping that these cards can be reproduced and sold for the benefit of museum submarines somehow.

What do you guys think?

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: EB playing cards
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »
We currently sell a set of spotter cards that are very popular at our gift shop.  I am always willing to try something new given the funds to do it.

Rick

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 09:41:57 AM »
Update on the cards:

No word from our friends at the Sub Force Museum on what they have in their collection (I seem to remember seeing a deck on display)...
So it would seem that there were at least several decks of EBCO cards, featuring the EBCO magazine advertising artwork. Did they have the redlight suits? If so, we can choose which art we use.  If there was only one such deck, we need that art!  Need to see an original card!  USPC Co. is willing to work with us (funny but profit-based entities seem so much more willing than non-profit entities funded by the government or insititutions... )   :knuppel2:

Paul
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 10:07:23 AM »
Sounds good Paul.  Keep on keeping on with this.  A high-quality replica of these cards would be so awesome.