Author Topic: Painting?  (Read 18742 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Painting?
« on: April 14, 2009, 10:05:54 PM »
Are you Batfish guys preparing to raise funds to paint?

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Painting?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 08:35:51 AM »
Yes.  We need aproxabately $180k.   Any help for support will be greatly appeciated.

Rick

Offline wh1skea

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 01:11:46 PM »
When you finally get ready to paint, are you going with a Measure 32 scheme, or sticking with the Measure 10?

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 04:13:47 PM »
Forgive me as I am a Zoomie and am not familiar with the schems in numerical format.  We are going with the more traditional black on grey paint scheme though.

Offline wh1skea

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 07:08:24 PM »
OK, the Measure 32.... quick breakdown on the numbers:

Measure 9 - All black

Measure 10 - All grey

Measure 32/3SS-B - Lighter version of the "grey to black" scheme

Measure 32/9SS-B - Darker version of the "grey to black" scheme

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 12:34:32 PM »
We'll be doing one of the Measure 32 schemes.  The new deck is already showing signs of weathering and we'd hate to see a lot of hard work go to waste.  Rick's new idea is to just clean the boat with power washers, stem to stern, and then paint over the existing paint, since we are stone-walled with stripping the old paint.  I'm not sure on the time line, though, but with some of the deck removed it will be a lot easier to maneuver and get equipment inside the superstructure to clean and paint.  At a minimum we should spray paint the new deck black to stop the weathering.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Wesley Green

• Seaman Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 11:56:38 PM »
yeah was starting to wonder about that, the new wood is getting bleached and already looks aged

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:19:01 AM »
Bleaching is one concern, but even more so, we are seeing it dry out and crack at the cut edges.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
It is official.   The Batfish will get a new coat of paint.  Allthough it does not involve a sandblasting,  it does provide us with a productive coat that we did not have in the past.  I will provide photos and updates at the end of Aug..

PS,  Thank you to all for the information that I needed to get this done....

Offline W5HOY

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 03:05:55 PM »
yahoooooo- Good work guys!

:D

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 12:23:48 PM »
I am making this post here as well as on our Facebook page.  I want to clairify some items regarding the painting thsi weekend.  The ACTIVE DUTY Navy will be helping us out with our paint job this year.  COMSTRATCOMWING ONE out of Tinker AFB will be providing the bulk of the paint force this weekend.  The will be helped out by the Navy Recruiting District (NRD) Dallas, NOSC OKC, and NOSC Broken Bow.  These units will be puting a preservitive coat of paint onto the Batifsh.  We are going to to Mode 32 (black on grey) color scheme.   During the paint process admission to the park will be free (Aug 28 only).  The submarine will be closed for tours on Aug 28.  I will have a little more free time to take photos during the day.  I will do my best to get some photos of the event.

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 03:15:31 PM »
I shot Rick a copy of the official orders from COMSUBPAC outlining the Mod 32/3ssB paint scheme. This is a reprint of the original that's on microfiche with the Navy. It's EXTREMELY detailed on every aspect.

He's going to use that as the guide for the Navy guys Saturday. As long as they can read and follow schematics, it'll be spot on with the way she looked in '45. I can't wait to see her in her new dress although I wish I could watch her change...or better yet, help her change. ;)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 11:13:45 AM »
It doesn't sound like it will happen in one weekend, but rather over a period of time, just like the deck (but hopefully not as long).  So, there will be plenty of opportunities to help.  My approach to the painting portion was to stay the hell out of the way.  It sounds like they will have a small army showing up and too many chefs spoil the soup.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 06:31:56 PM »
I wanted to volunteer for this one but ya with the navy comming il stay out of the way and stay in school this week :buck2:
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Karen D.

• Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 10:18:37 PM »
Hopefully it will go alot faster than my painting project this summer. After two monhts I've finally finished the first coat on just the exterior and I'm only painiting the sail!  :P