Author Topic: Museum Subs need these compasses!  (Read 6499 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Museum Subs need these compasses!
« on: July 25, 2009, 08:50:48 PM »
Shipmates:

Every WWII fleet sub had two of these one in the conning tower and ne in the control room (each mounted on a shock braket behind the helms). They are only now showing up because the guys who stole them from decomming subs are dying off and their families have no clue!

We can help with the brackets, but you need the compasses!  COD's had the optional compensating balls on the one in the control room. Not sure about the one in the CT.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Antique-WW-11-U-S-Navy-Pioneer-Aviation-Compass_W0QQitemZ270430387868QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef6e83e9c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Museum Subs need these compasses!
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 11:51:00 PM »
Yeah, I don't remember seeing one of these in either location on Batfish.  I am watching the item on eBay, but I don't want to compete with another boat.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 03:31:19 PM »
Bidder is probably NOT a sub musuem. Nobody seems to care about this aspect of restoration. Go for it!

COD has three (one for spares). So we are not involved. Think snipe bid... that would be the best for all involved.

Paul :coolsmiley:

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 06:52:40 PM »
I'll definitely snipe it.  I sniped a restored Westinghouse fan for the boat for a total of $42 and change and this time I don't have to work on it.  :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 09:41:58 AM »
Up to $51 with about 6 hours left to go.  How much do you think one of these is worth?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 03:35:47 PM »
We lost the bid. :(  It sold for $102.50.  I don't know if that was the other guy's max bid or if eBay bumps it up by $2.50 increments after an auction hits $100.  My max was $100.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 05:14:08 PM »
Sucks to hear that.  eBay is hard to win anymore for me.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 08:12:01 AM »
The sad thing is that it is probably going to sit on another collector's shelf for 30 more years before it's available again.

I emailed the seller to forward a message to the winner to ask him how much he would be willing to take for the compass, since we really need to replace ours, but I never got a return reply.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 10:46:27 PM »
More and more are coming to the surface!  Keep a positive mind. What sucks is the fact that you guys are limited in funds... we sniped ours with max bids of much more than this...  thankfully we didn't have to "pay it to the max."  But IMHO, these are worth at least $200... sad but true.
You can always make replicas, since they are not very difficult to make, just a bunch of cylinders, basicaly. And I don't think BATFISH, COD, or DRUM is going to swing their bows 90deg to make the dials spin...

Keep the faith shipmates!

:-*

... and keep searching the skies... errr, I mean eBay!

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 02:33:44 PM »
I have been faithfully searching eBay daily not only for another compass, but gauges.  I got a pressure gauge for $14 + shipping.  I hope to find more like that.  We also nailed another Westinghouse fan (refurbished) for $42 total.  So, we have some victories.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor