Author Topic: Port and Starboard Mogul Size Bulbs  (Read 6944 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Port and Starboard Mogul Size Bulbs
« on: July 24, 2009, 02:01:07 PM »
Guys,

I was wondering what wattage bulbs you use in the mogul-size port and starboard light sockets on the sides of the bridge?  I got a hold of two socket reducers to put a standard (medium) size bulb in there.  I was thinking 100W or 150W would be plenty bright.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Port and Starboard Mogul Size Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 06:04:58 PM »
We use 40 watt
Tom

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 08:53:51 PM »
We have rebuilt versions... so not sure what size.

Funny story:  one of our subvets who hated all non-sub guys working on COD (and hated most subvets as well, for that matter)... screamed bloody murder when we repowered the lights... he claimed we would be cited by the Coast Guard for posing as a ship underway. I told him that would only happen after they cited every restaurant and nautical bar with the same lights on the front door!

:uglystupid2:

15 years and counting, still waiting for the citation. The four USCG admirals who have visited COD love them!
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 11:44:23 PM »
I doubt that we'll run into that problem, since we're in a dirt basin, but still visible from the nearby highway.  Rick usually kills power to the boat after hours, but on event weekends it would be nice to have at least the port light lit for passing traffic to see.  We always have an oil lantern lit on deck at night for bathroom runs to the museum bldg. and I've been tempted to hang the lantern off of the bow light mast.

I'm thinking that I'll go with at least 100W fluorescent bulbs to save on power.  I calculated that it would take around 900W of energy per hour just to run all of the fluorescent fixtures below deck.  I can imagine how much juice the boat eats up with all of the incandescent lights going, too.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 04:46:46 PM »
I want to see here lit up at night.  Running lights and all.  this is item number 327 on the to do list.....

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 02:36:32 PM »
It may be sooner than you think, Rick.  I am bringing rust cleaner with me and I have the socket adapters.  I think there is still power running to the port and stbd sockets (bow light is another story).  So, we might see some exterior lights by next weekend.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 01:00:31 PM »
We used 40 watt bulbs.  60 watts gets too hot inside the cover and causes overheating of the wiring.  We are trying to find an inexpensive (or donated) LED bulb so we don't have to replace the darn things so often.  Compact fluorescent doesn't work too well in the winter months.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 03:20:17 PM »
I picked up some "instant-on" CFL bulbs that are equivalent to 100W bulbs.  I think they draw around 38 watts each.  I agree that you don't want too much of a current draw on these old wires and fuses.  We'll see how well they do in the cold.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor