Author Topic: Batfish Gets Some Local Media Attention  (Read 7988 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Batfish Gets Some Local Media Attention
« on: August 03, 2009, 09:29:57 PM »
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20090803_12_A1_DaveWe68218

Nice Article about the Batfish in the Tulsa World.

I really liked the fact about sinking a ship in Tokyo Harbor.  I must have missed that in the Patrol Reports   :buck2:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish Gets Some Local Media Attention
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:39:32 AM »
It is a great article, much needed. However if you read the comments on the article, they are not so good, some people are criticizing us for not having more info on how to get there, and more ads for it, one person even suggested we just up and move it to the Tulsa aquarium ha ha ha  :D. I hope that the article will bring in some much needed donations, too bad it didnt touch on the necessary help for ads.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 03:07:31 PM »
"But the treasure is inside her hull. She was state-of-the-art when built, and all of her inner workings remain in pristine condition — almost as if she's ready to do battle again. "

Bwahahahahahahahaha! If they only knew.

Good article overall.  I hope we get some rich old ladies to fork some cash over.

Ignore the "let's move it to the aquarium/Tulsa" comments.  Especially the one where the guy suggests cutting the boat in half to fly it by helicopter.  If they only knew how much this puppy weighed.  I can't believe that people bitch about driving 45 minutes to see something.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:14:08 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 11:19:53 PM »
Yeah Mark...if they only knew.  ANOTHER fact they got wrong in the article.  I wish these journalists would do some research.

As for cutting the sub in half...no comment.  As for moving the sub?  I like the flat bed idea.

Wonder where these people get these ideas.  The sub is where it is...deal with it.  There are maps on the website...been there for years.

As for bitching...I rather them either shut up or come out and help.   :knuppel2:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 09:08:57 AM »
The people complaining on the newspaper website about its location will never come down to see the boat.  So, really, they're Persona non Grata.  I almost laughed when one guy commented that the boat was "really hard to get to".  You can't get any closer to the highway than we are , now.

The only comment that I agreed with (and Rick does, too) is that we need billboards up and down the highway to give people a little warning of the Batfish exit that's coming up.  Also, Rick wants to strike a deal with the neighboring land owner to cut the trees down blocking the view of the sub from the highway.  It would be nice to see her while crossing the bridge.

Back when they put the sub there, it was a bean field.  So, it was probably very visible from the highway, but lack of farming near the park for 30 years resulted in a forest surrounding it.

We're making progress and it's too bad if it's not to the liking or expediency of certain Tulsa citizens.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:07:21 PM »
do not complain too much aobut people complaining about the boat.  At least we are gaeting attention again.  This is a very slow process. and you do not know the political hurdles that we have to overcome.   As far as location,  I cannot thnk of a better place for us to be.  We will have problems no matter where we put it.  We just have to overcome them in true Disney fassion. (Walt that is)...

Rick