Author Topic: Nice find there Rick!  (Read 32757 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Nice find there Rick!
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 10:17:40 AM »
Here's the thing John, we needed the tube space to store some aluminum storage lockers that used to fit in the tubes and on the stow's and the only tubes that we currently have serviced for that is Tube#7 which has a Mk 27 hanging out of it and Tube #2 which is on display and all lit up.  So as more stuff appears from various different things we have done over the years (strip ships and parts acquisitions) that have been stored at people's houses who are cleaning out their stuff in prep for retirement or they have just gotten tired of looking at it. 

Yes you can put a scrapper on a pole and push it down the tube and a small push broom to get the big chunks out so that someone can go back in the tube a little safer, I still prefer to flood the tube and have brought that up to the staff and they are going to address the issue to the museum heads.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 07:51:21 AM »
Flooding would be easier for you for sure and safer 8)  I'd rather clean bilges than get into a tube these days.  :2funny:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 08:53:48 AM »
I would also rather have a nasty bilge then a nasty torpedo tube because I can almost always find someone willing to dive a bilge :2funny:

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 11:38:49 AM »
 :crazy2: Shop Vac!  and a warm body and you have clean bilges  :crazy2:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »
Please make sure there is plenty of ventilation!  Mud, rust, etc. eat OXYGEN!  This is a confined space entry issue. So if you crack open a tube, get a fan, blower, etc., and ventilate it, especially if someone is inside with cleaning products.  Be safe!

:smitten:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Wesley Green

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2009, 12:17:58 AM »
After reading this post I still can't get one thing out of my head. I'm the smallest adult volunteer....
I wonder what I get to look forward to helping on after the deck is done  ;D

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2009, 10:26:09 AM »
Wesley,
at 6'3" and 230# I am one of the largest volunteers the Torsk has and I have been in some very tight places and made it alright :2funny:   Cleaning the torpedo tubes tends to be a LOT of fun if they are not full of 30+ year old crud. Enjoy whatever job that they give you for those whom volunteer on our museum boats are saving history

Darrin

Offline Wesley Green

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2009, 05:54:55 PM »
I enjoy it or I wouldn't keep coming back  :P

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 10:45:45 PM »
SO after 3 something years since this post started has anyone been BRAVE enough to dive the tubes and clean them out? because it sounds like you have a new volunteer that may want to try to spear head that evolution

Darrin

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 12:39:03 AM »
hehe....mark would deffintly have me clean out the tubes..im the shortest and skinnyest adult XD.
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »
I would like to dig out the bow some more and see what we're dealing with on the outside, before we make another attempt at opening tubes 5 and 6 from the inside.  We're also long overdue digging out the rudder and stern planes.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2013, 12:09:54 PM »
Just say when Mark/Rick and I'll bring out the back-hoes and the dozer.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 03:31:10 PM »
Rick doesn't view these boards much.  So, any work proposals should actually be written up in a Word document and then sent to Rick with Mark Allen CC'd.  It doesn't have to look like an official job proposal, but the more details that it has, the better.

My only concern with using heavy machinery is hitting the boat while digging.  We would have to take it nice and slow.  Probably bring out a large piece of rebar and "feel" for how deep the stern planes are before removing dirt.  I'm just really afraid at what we will or won't find.  "Are you sure this boat had stern planes?"

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 03:50:37 PM »
Shouldn't be a problem Mark, its my equipment.   ;)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »
Cool.  I'm tied up for the next 6 weekends, but starting in April I will be a lot more available.  I would like to be there when the stern gets unearthed.

A pressure washer will be necessary, as well, once the bulk of the dirt has been removed.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor