Author Topic: "Down Periscope" prop for sale!  (Read 8146 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: "Down Periscope" prop for sale!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 11:03:54 AM »
When on the Suisun Bay set, I asked the assistant director if they were planning to sell the bunks and mattresses on the LA sets when they wrapped... he said they planned on using the sets for rental income. Looks like they gave up on that idea.  I never saw the LA sets, but Russ apparently had, since they were based on PAMPANITO and his input. He was very impressed with the detail. So am I.  But these sets pale in comparison with what the Brits did when they replicated the interior of USS SILVERSIDES in the spooky flick: BELOW...  story sucks, but the sets are very impressive. Tom Walkowiack (sp?) of floating drydock went across the pond and photographed the sets and shared the prints with me.
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 12:01:53 PM »
 :'( Damn I got all excited and ready to buy - but that starting bid is a bit too much.  Who is going to buy a full set like that?  :smitten:

USS PAMPANITO SS 383 was the sister ship of my USS Picuda SS 382. I would love to have part of that set for my submarine room!  :smitten:

Paul if you have any spare change can you buy this for me?   :coolsmiley:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 01:04:18 AM »
Sorry my allowance has not increased since 1974.

But I did save $87.91 by alerting Enterprise Car Rental to my bullet riddled, blood stained rental when I was visiting DRUM! Still, that is a bit shy of the opening bid.

Here is a photo collage of our Chevy HHR with a "story to tell."  That is Toby with the "Hollywood Reaction" in the pic of the exit hole in the back seat. Toby is a COD director. Also pictured is Franze Boetes who saves USCG ships as museums... such as USCG MOWHAWK in Key West and USCG INGHAM, formerly of Patriot's Point, SC.

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 05:56:55 AM »
Well they do a lot of hunting down there and some times the locals have their trucks in for repairs and have to rent a car to go hunting.... :crazy2:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 11:14:54 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/full-WWII-Balao-Class-Submarine-Movie-Set-Full-Working_W0QQitemZ200386561058QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea7f84422

It has been relisted with a "make offer" option this time around.  Maybe a museum will make a good offer?

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 11:58:46 AM »
Not sure if a movie set is a good idea for a museum boat. They look good, and work to a limited degree, but they aren't built for real service and to last!While I haven't seen the sets from Down Periscope (I did see the second location set--USS PAMPANITO, and that is built relatively well, so it might last a year or two...  :smitten: )

Still, if you had a plexiglas tunnel to keep folks away from handling the set...  Somebody tell the USN Sub Force library they may have a new exhibit for their musuem next to USS NAUTILUS Plexiglass Museum!

:uglystupid2: