Author Topic: Torsk letters  (Read 9600 times)

Offline FER

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 3
    • View Profile
Torsk letters
« on: October 16, 2009, 08:03:57 PM »
When I visited USS Torsk about a month ago, I couldn't help laugh at a little bit of equipment attached to a bulkhead. I swear i didn't initial that thing, whatever it is! (see attached photo)

Near the spot where I found my initials aboard Torsk, I noticed a sextant and a few other navigational items in a case. Just FYI for the Torsk team, that sextant is probably worth selling. You could get an old USN Mk. II sextant, which is probably more appropriate, for about half the money that you would raise by the sale of the one you have. Also, there is a really beat-up "star finder" (HO 2102-D) in the same case. It would be easy to get one in considerably better condition. They sell for ten bucks or so on ebay on a regular basis, maybe fifteen for "vintage". Also, the plates and overlays of the "star finder" are rather neat looking and since you have this in a glass case anyway, you may want to consider taking them out of the sleeve and fanning them out for the display. Just throwing in my two cents! My area of expertise is traditional navigation, especially celestial navigation.

-FER

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Torsk letters
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 10:32:56 PM »
Maybe the F.E.R. was for "Forward Engine Room"?

I'm still very much a novice to all things submarine and it shows.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 10:38:10 PM »
You know "FER" it must be nice to be able to go from boat to boat giving your opinion's of how other people have restored THEIR submarine back to where they believe is an accurate time for when it served and with what little money they have been give to do so.....  PLEASE put some time onboard RESTORING one of our boats before you "PING" us whom work so hard at restoring them back to where they once were.

Because as a Torsk Volunteer/family member I do not take kindly to you telling us that things that have been donated to us and have been found on our COSAL list as having onboard being wrong to our time that we are trying to get back to that we need to put them up on EBAY so we can make money and NOT make our boat truly origional once more...

While I only speak for myself it appears that while ALL of the submarine museum community would LOVE to get to a dry dock and get all of their ill's fixed it does NOT happen that way, there are boats that have gone to the extreme to bring them back to life with LITTLE support from their respective museums to those whom have been able to drydock frequently and have some of the good things in life happen to fall in their lap..

I will tell you for a fact that 11 years ago TORSK was an EMPTY steel tube that was going to be scrapped when TVA stepped in and SAVED her and have made her to be the lady that she once was. It took a LOT of work by hundreds to bring her to where she is today and it will take many more to maintain her and the rest of the submarine museums throughout the world.

Step up and help restore our museum submarines instead of bad mouthing those boats whom you believe are not meeting "your" standards

Darrin

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 10:50:04 PM »
Lance,
Yes you are right FER on a Diesel boat means Forward Engine Room I can not and will NOT speak for what the person using these initials mean, because I do not know that they are just the person's initials....

FER or whatever your real name is, buck up and ASK the crews of the boats that you are visiting when THEY will be onboard so that you can get a REAL tour of the boat and not have to leave leave your mark as you did in After Battery onboard Torsk...

FYI that display case that you speak of has been onboard less then a month and it took us a LONG time to get approval from our museum to even put it onboard to display items that have been donated and acquired so that others may see what we used once onboard

Darrin

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 03:01:17 PM »
Hi FER (and everybody else).

The "thing" you posted a photo of is a smoke detector. We have them in each compartment, and they are marked accordingly. So the one you saw with your initials is the one for the Forward Engine Room.

Thank you for your input on the display case. When I put the sextant and navigational items in the case, I didn't do much as far as arranging them because they were intended as a temporary display until we have decided on a more formal display schedule. The sextant is no longer on display, nor is the star finder. We now have a display on submarine batteries and associated test equipment set up on the center two shelves. More items will be rotated through the case in the near future.

I understand what you are saying about selling the sextant, but we do not sell items that have been donated or have historical value. The star finder, although beat up, is one that has been used by submarine crews and therefore has historical significance. A new one might look pretty, but might not necessarily have the "feel" of a used one. And regarding the MKII Sextant, we do have one in storage that may go on display in the future. If we do a full display on submarine navigation in the future, and you have some advice on what might look good, I would be more than happy to hear your suggestions.

If you happen to come back through Torsk in the future, please give us a heads up. We could spend some time together and I am sure you would enjoy the visit much more if our volunteers are there to give you a behind-the-scenes look at what we do. That offer goes out to anyone who is interested - just let us know.

Regards,

Gil Bohannon

Offline FER

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 06:40:52 PM »
Lance, you wrote:
"Maybe the F.E.R. was for "Forward Engine Room"?"

Thanks! Makes good sense, and Gil Bohannon has now confirmed it. Like I say, I had to laugh when I saw it. It was like the submarine was talking to me. :-)

-FER

Offline FER

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 07:16:26 PM »
Darrin, you wrote:
"FER or whatever your real name is, buck up and ASK the crews of the boats that you are visiting when THEY will be onboard so that you can get a REAL tour of the boat and not have to leave leave your mark as you did in After Battery onboard Torsk..."

Ho boy... The things people post late on a Friday night! I am sure you regret posting this, Darrin, so I will accept your apology in advance.

More generally, I understand your pride in your volunteer work on Torsk, and I am aware that your group has done plenty of good work on it. You should be proud of that. But that does not mean that the project is successful as yet. As it stands, Torsk is in the middle ground as museum subs go (of the ones I have seen).

-FER

Offline FER

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 07:53:01 PM »
Gil Bohannon, you wrote:
"The "thing" you posted a photo of is a smoke detector. We have them in each compartment, and they are marked accordingly. So the one you saw with your initials is the one for the Forward Engine Room. "

Sure. Thanks! It's obviously a smoke detector (or a CO detector) and I only brought it up because I thought it was funny seeing my initials staring at me from that bulkhead.

And you wrote:
"Thank you for your input on the display case. When I put the sextant and navigational items in the case, I didn't do much as far as arranging them because they were intended as a temporary display until we have decided on a more formal display schedule. The sextant is no longer on display, nor is the star finder."

I see. That explains it then.

And you wrote:
"I understand what you are saying about selling the sextant, but we do not sell items that have been donated or have historical value."

Yes, that's a delicate issue with donations. All museums at a certain stage have to deal with this problem. Does this particular sextant have true historical value? Do you have any documentation on its history? Was it used aboard the Torsk at some point? Though it's not an American-made sextant or USN issue, it was quite common for officers to buy their own instruments. I couldn't see the serial number in my photos.

And:
"The star finder, although beat up, is one that has been used by submarine crews and therefore has historical significance. A new one might look pretty, but might not necessarily have the "feel" of a used one."

I don't agree on this one. That sleeve does not show normal wear and tear from use. It appears to have suffered from sort of storage deterioration (mold? plastic decay?). I have seen many examples of star finders from decades ago that are in much better condition. More importantly, mere use aboard some submarine does not qualify this item as a historical artifact. You're not collecting "relics of the cross" here. From the standpoint of education and interpretation, a copy of the star finder that doesn't look so beat up, or one that might even be displayed in such a way that it could be handled, would be more effective. I'm not suggesting a "new" one, though the newer ones are a little cheaper. I'm just saying that there are lots of these available on the market, and if you ever decide to display navigational items again --and the star finder is a great choice--, you can get a better one.

And you concluded:
"If you happen to come back through Torsk in the future, please give us a heads up. We could spend some time together and I am sure you would enjoy the visit much more if our volunteers are there to give you a behind-the-scenes look at what we do. That offer goes out to anyone who is interested - just let us know."

Thank you for the offer. Have you ever approached the powers that be to discuss the possibility of "VIP" or "behind-the-scenes" tours as a commercial option? Most museum submarines charge something like five to ten dollars for admission (though this is not always clear since many are part of a combined admission to a museum or a collection of vessels). Usually this admission covers a very basic guided tour or a self-guided tour. But there are many people who would pay $25 or possibly more for something more meaningful --a tour with some meat on the bones :-). In addition to providing more public service and a means of validating your importance to the community, these can also be a good way of impressing potential donors. There's a lot of money walking through the Inner Harbor ever lunch hour!

-FER

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 08:46:40 PM »
"FER" thank you for the laugh that you brought to me when I saw your post about my earlier posting... And while Gil is able to say the same thing in damn near the same words you don't quite get it yet or so it looks like to me, he OFFERED to take you on a tour when you come back through the area and IF for some reason you let the next museum that you are going to tour they MAY do the same for you..

PLEASE contact the next museum submarine that you are going tour because you wouild be surprised that when they have their vol's onboard how differnt the tours are.... Tooo bad you didn't contact the Torsk crew prior to you showing up because we have had everyone from those whom are submarine enthausisit's to the Chief of Naval Operations onboard and they have ALL left with a different view of those whom served on a WWII boat.

Good luck in the rest of your tour of the submarine museum fleet, we ALL welcome you to come onboard and show you how far we have come in our restoration efforts.. 

The next time you are in the Newport News, Va area give me a call and I will take you on a tour of a 688,  I hold no hard feelings towards you and I hope that you truly enjoy your trip :angel:

Darrin

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 07:58:48 AM »
 :'(  I never got an invite to tour a 688.  Sniff.  :'(
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 01:04:50 PM »
Awe come on John, you know you have an open invite to my house here and I will be more then happy to take you on a tour of a 688 ;)   

Just make sure you bring some good Gilly with you :knuppel2:

Offline JTheotonio

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 8
    • View Profile
    • USS Picuda SS-382
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »
 ;) Well gee whiz - I just don't show up on someone's doorstep without prior invite...I can bring Gilly too!  :smitten:
-----
From the Forward Torpedo Room

John