Author Topic: Getting the word out  (Read 25887 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Getting the word out
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 12:45:29 AM »
Yeah well, I don't want the momentum to slow down!  No rest for the wicked!

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 01:09:25 AM »
Hey Lance you may want to let the Chester W. Nimitz memorial site know about this one, as Nimitz was a submariner, and they are called the "The National Museum Of The Pacific War"
http://www.nimitz-museum.org/mission_history.htm
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Cavalla COB

• USS Cavalla Volunteer
  • Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 09:52:06 AM »
OK, you got the Cavalla involved. I don't know how much time I can devote to the ste, but I will try to check in at least every other day or so.
For those of you that visit some of the other BBS sites, Gil Raynor posted some pictures for me that are of the Carp conning tower. I know, it was an error. They are not of the Cavalla conn. But the point is, I am missing some parts and pieces and I am not completely sure what goes in the missing slots. Anyone out there know what I should be looking for to complete the Carp conning tower and have it on display in the very near future?
Incidentally, e-mail is a better way to reach me........macm@airmail.net

Ooops, gotta go, they just called for the weapons loading party, we are loading our MK 45 this morning, you should be able to watch part of it on our web cam:)              www.cavalla.org      or    www.cavalla244.org          Two cameras, a park cam and a cam in the fwd torpedo room.

Thanks SHipmates and friends
John McMichael  MMCM(SS)  USN  Ret.
Curator
Cavalla/Stewart

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 09:40:14 AM »
Still looking for more people that aren't here yet!  If you know of them, let them know or tell me how to contact them!

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 12:59:26 PM »
Did you let the nimitz museum know? If not the link is in my previous post on the top of this page.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2008, 03:50:41 PM »
Gino on the SubSim forum has some experience working on the Cod.  I asked him if he might want to represent the boat here on the forum, since I noticed that their forum is empty.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2008, 05:57:22 PM »
Paul Farace, the Cod's curator, has checked in here recently. Where Cod is concerned, getting it from him is better than getting it from the proverbial horse's mouth.

Also, if you want to visit a fleet boat that has been restored to drop-dead authenticity on a shoestring, Cod is a must-see.

Offline K0EFV

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2008, 07:29:04 PM »
Lance:
I want you to know about  SVARA (Submarine Veterans Amateur Radio Assoc).  First and foremost the name is very mislesding.  SVARA has about 300 or so members Not all are Sub Vets or amateur radio operators.  Membership is open to all veterans as well as non military folks ie: shipyard workers, aircraft workers, and many other civilian related jobs.  The ages range from teens to over 90.  We even had a English Spitfire pilot from WWII, Pilots who were rescued by submarines, B-17 Tailgunners, Vets from Normandy and Battle of the Bulge.  The membership however was and is predominately Submarine Veterans from WWII and the Copld War.  Safe to say almost all the Museum submarines have active members.  In fact almost all the other Museum Ships have active members.

There are two sides to this group.  First they conduct live on the air meetings daily and do what most of us do by way of Internet Forum Groups. That has some good points as well as some bad . For some time we used to read deck logs look for parts for the subs etc.  Annualy they participate in the "Museum Ships Weekend On The Air Special Event".  I think there are about 70 plus many Foreign museums, although not all do participate in the event.

Last they are very active in a site "Yahoo Groups SVARA".  It is similar in nature to this site but not as comprehensive.  One can post messages store Photos and the like.  Most members elect to receive all new posts.  Also membership Info isthere also, and yes it's free.  Now the reason for me telling you all this is I will post a message there advising them of this site, and see what happens.

Tom USMC

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2008, 09:55:48 PM »
I know we have a couple of those guys at the Batfish. I met one of them (a subvet) at the local subvet meeting tonight and he knows the guys at the Bafish, so it will be a great help.

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2008, 09:58:54 PM »
Every year at the USSVI convention a group of hams who are USSVI members  meet.  Doing something with the museum boats might be a good project for them. I believe they had some kind of activity at North Little Rock during the 2007 convention. Not sure if it was on the Razorback or not.
Bill
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 10:02:52 PM by Viejo »
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 08:37:12 AM »
Paul Farace, the Cod's curator, has checked in here recently. Where Cod is concerned, getting it from him is better than getting it from the proverbial horse's mouth.

Roger that.  I'll have to check out the Cod some time.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 06:43:50 PM »
[quotIf you want to find the sub and do not use Google Earth (why not???), you can find it on North Marginal Rd., between Burke Lakefront Airport and East 9th St., in downtown Cleveland, 1,000 feet east of the Rock Hall of Fame.
e][/quote]

On the Sub Memorials Map on the USSVI web pages http://www.ussvi.org/home.asp  , when you go to Ohio and bring up the Cod, the google map has the marker right at the end of the gangplank. Use the satellite view to see what it looks like.  I have most of the museum boats located that way and am working my way around the country to site the monuments and memorial stones the same way.
Viejo

chris

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2008, 07:33:47 PM »
I think I know why many of the museums have not checked in.The curator or  people running the museum have no background or much knowledge if any on the boats.There is one museum that has a former air force Col. in charge.Air Force running a naval museum what next??????????

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2008, 10:44:30 AM »
Well, being a non-submariner does not mean that the person can't become knowledgeable about the sub.  One of the guys on the board of the Silversides knows a lot about it and he is a doctor. At the moment I can't even rememer if Paul from the Cod is a submariner or not. Doesn't matter to me. He certainly has qualified on that boat and is the main reason it is in the great shape it is. I am sure the same is true of several of the people on any of the Museum boats. The Batfish, the Drum, the Torsk all have people who are civilians yet have kept the boat up to standards and made it something we can all be proud of. We just have to find a way to get to know these people and get their trust enough that they will let us help them. We want to keep and improve all our museum boats no matter who owns or runs them. One of the problems that has occurred with some boats is the fact that they are owned by companies that are mostly civilian and some of the subvets haven't had the best of attitudes when going around those who are responsible for the boat. This is a long term project and if done right could bring all the museum boats up to high standards, but we have to want to help, not dictate what we think things should be like. We all had to learn about our boats and their were people that were willing to help us.  And if we run into some that don't care, then we just have to learn how to work around that. Getting the boat in the best shape to be seen and enjoyed by the public is much more important than proving some point. I am not talking about anyone or any boat in particular, just what works in general.  ;)
Viejo

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2008, 12:42:05 PM »
I think I know why many of the museums have not checked in.The curator or  people running the museum have no background or much knowledge if any on the boats.There is one museum that has a former air force Col. in charge.Air Force running a naval museum what next??????????

I see that chris has deleted himself for whatever reason.  I didn't do it.

I hope this comment was not directed towards Rick at the Batfish.

In my honest opinion, I don't care if a museum had a former used car salesman as their director as long as they care about what they're doing.  By all means how could someone bitch about a job they aren't volunteering to do themselves anyway?