Author Topic: Is your memorial sub being robbed on the web?  (Read 11333 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Is your memorial sub being robbed on the web?
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2010, 11:40:10 PM »
We have no problem with video of tours... unless they bring a super Panavision camera and interrupt the tour flow... I always considered anyone video taping any part of the boat to be a compliment. There are many photographers who are trying to sell their photos of COD and her interior on the internet. Good luck to them... most are just snapshots, we can't stop them without being mean.  Again, as long as they don't harm the boat or jamb up the tour flow...

Just before Christmas my wife and I toured New York's Tenenment Musuem... basically an 1863-vintage tenement that was partially restored to various focus dates. The tourguide was a bit of a nudnik spouting the official musuem policy of "No Photography of any kind because our restoration is copywritten!"  Now I not a lawyer, but I don't think that would hold water... what did it mean to us?  When the tour was over and they passed out brochures asking us to join as benefactors (something that I really think my wife would have jumped for -- she is very generous that way -- my wife handed the brochure back and said "Your museum is nice, but you made a poor impression on me with the way you handle visitors and photos!" It was more that I might have done, but she was right on, IMHO.

I have been to historical villages and seen the blacksmith and candlemaker make total asses of themselves by stopping their "tour" and bitching at people who pull out a camera!  I am both a museum tourguide--tour writer-curator- and a professional photographer... so I can see the issue from ALL SIDES -- and there is really no defense for that attitude... beyond cramping the rights of other tourists. Non-flash photography or video with a tiny hand-held camerai is not going to ruin anyone's day.   :tickedoff:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2010, 12:09:57 AM »
The only museum submarine that I am aware of that doesn't allow photography of any kind is the U-505.  Videotaping I assume also isn't allowed.

I wasn't aware of not being able to videotape on the Cobia.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 08:02:01 PM »
Lance,

with a little bit of notice most if not all crews will "open" their boats up so that the visitors can truly experiance them.... IF you remember a number of months ago we had a gentleman from SUBSIM request to go onto Torsk and "AVGWARHAWK" aka Chris volunteered to give him the "FULL" tour and he was greated by the crew with open arms and treated like part of the crew (without having to work) and he took a heck of a lot of pictures and picked our brains for every bit of information that he could get and we LOVED it.. that and the pics turned out very nicely, wish I had the link so I could have saved them onto my rebuild computer but it didn't make it when  it crashed the last time :'(

And yes as far as I know only the U-505 doesn't allow pictures or video to be taken. ???