Author Topic: Drum vs. Mizuho  (Read 10081 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Drum vs. Mizuho
« on: October 31, 2010, 09:31:38 AM »
Hey Lance (or anyone):

I'm trying to verify a statement I've come across on a website.

Here is the website: http://www.mca-marines.org/event/10/5/battle-midway-commemoration

Here is the statement:

Late one night in May, Drum sank the Japanese seaplane carrier Mizuho off the island of Hushu with one torpedo hit.  Mizuho went down with its brood of ten midget submarines. If Drum had not sunk Mizuho, there would have been 10 additional Japanese submarines at Midway instead of four.

What I'm curious about is the statement about the "ten midget subs."

I've check CombinedFleet.com http://www.combinedfleet.com/mizuho.htm which states the Mizuho was assigned to Seaplatendiv 11 which would suggest seaplanes and not midget subs.

There is nothing about the cargo in Blair's SILENT VICTORY or Holmes's UNDERSEA VICTORY.

Padfield (WAR BENEATH THE SEA, p 232) indicates that a converted seaplane - carrier was sailing with the Midway Invasion Fleet carrying eight Type A midget subs.  Morison indicates this was the CHITOSE, but was carrying seaplanes.  Parshall & Tully in SHATTERED SWORD indicate Chiyoda and Nisshin were carrying midget subs.

Can anyone help verify the Mizuho's cargo?

Thanks,

Mark

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Drum vs. Mizuho
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 07:21:54 PM »
I found the histtory of the ship by google search and it stated the she had been converted to carry mini-subs. I don't remeber if itt stated as fact that it was headed for Midway but the date of sinking fits and the crew stated last year they had found something that said that.
Tom

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:29:44 PM »
All I had ever read before was she was a seaplane tender.  This is all new to me.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 11:49:17 PM »
you had to have a pretty big sub to carry 10 migit subs, and if u let them lose especaiilly around midway with 2 torpedos those things could really do some damange.
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
Mizuho was a seaplane tender, not a submarine.  but since they sailed with the invasion force, they never made it to Midway.

I've heard two stories that I'm looking into...one is that some of these seaplane tenders were converted to CVL's...the other is that some, like Chitose, were converted to carry midget subs.  Interestingly, another source that escapes me says that Nisshan was carrying torpedo boats to Midway.  The midget subs and torpedo boats were for defense of the island after the invasion.

It all sure does get confusing.

Anyway, I'm still looking into the original question on the Mizuho cargo...thanks for the responses so far.

MWA
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 01:46:15 AM »
Well, I found the answer.  I know you have all be laying awake at night wondering about this.

As I mentioned CHITOSE and NISSHIN were with the Midway invasion fleet.  It was MIZUHO that was to accompany CHITOSE on the trip.  NISSHIN was MIZUHO's replacement due to the DRUM sinking MIZUHO.

Source:  The United States Strategic Bombing Survey: Interrogations of Japanese Officials, Volume 1.  P. 250.

Primary sources are becoming one of favorite things to read.

Mark

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 06:04:29 AM »
Mark
Well done and thank you for digging that up.   :knuppel2: That is valuable info to add to the history of the Drum. Not to bad a job for the first Gato class on its first patrol and its first attack.
Tom