Author Topic: USS Scorpion....  (Read 5254 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
USS Scorpion....
« on: April 12, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »
Is anyone planniing on attending her memorial service in May?? Bill, if you wouild like a room contact me because I have a place here on post for you ;)

Darrin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: USS Scorpion....
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 11:12:00 PM »
Hey Darrin, do you have more details about this service?

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:30:36 AM »
Lance,

I haven't seen much of anything on it yet, however they do an annual laying of the wreath at Norfolk where her memorial is. Bill Lee probably has more information on this then I do, btw there is a number of tribute video's to her and to the Thresher on youtube.

Darrin

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 08:43:35 PM »
I believe that the annual ceremony is held at the park in Newport News. Every five years, MaryEtta and Art put on the one in Norfolk and the Navy sends some crew members from a sub to be part of it. In 2008, ComSubForce was the speaker. It is a pretty big deal. The ones in the other years are normally held with the KOC from Norfolk and the Hampton Roads Base takes part, at the memorial in Hunnington Park in Newport News. as with almost all the pages in the sub memorials page. Going to the Google map for the page, using satellite view and zooming in will show you just where the stone is. For the museum boats, I put the green arrow on gangplank.
I'll check about the arrangements this year and let all know. Darrin, thanks for the offer. I hope to get out there some day, but  I won't be going this year, but know that Wally's son and grandaughter are planning on going. To see what it looks like and where it is, go to the sub memorials map on either LIBs or the USSVI page and it is the last one on page 4. The one in Norfolk at the D & S piers is on page three of those in Virginia.  If you want to see al lthe memorial pages I have up for the Scorpion, go to the map, then go to custom search and put in 589. There are a lot more memorial stones out there, but am still trying to find them. The picture of the stone at Hunnington Park has two of my grandkids beside it. The picture of the first sub memorial in Wahoo, NE, has one of my sons next to  it. I guess one of the perks of doing these pages.  I also hope all you guys have sent me your sub school pictures to put up. We'll have to wait and let Kara send hers since Lance is getting a little long in the tooth to volunteer now. LOL
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp