Author Topic: Hi from Tennessee  (Read 6250 times)

Offline wh1skea

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Hi from Tennessee
« on: March 19, 2010, 12:46:38 PM »
Hi, my name is Edwin.  I'm the son of a submariner. Although Dad served on nukes (79-89)(Nautilus, Seawolf, Trepang, Louisville, Sculpin), I've become quite fond of the diesel boats.  I've managed to get to see a couple over the years (Drum and Cobia) and would love nothing more to see more.  I am also an aspiring profile artist and have started work on a massive Fleet Boat template project (my work is digital), based on techniques I've learned working on aircraft profiles. 

So, this is not only an introduction, but a request for some help.  In profiling, accuracy is of utmost importance.  Without a budget or time to take off from work to travel, I can't get to the museum boats to get some of the details I need.  Current detail at the top of the list is the size of the limber holes on the Portsmouth and Mare Is. built subs.....well the size of the EB and Manitowac subs would be good too.  If anyone knows these dimensions, could you share?

I do plan to print my work once finished.  I figure it'll probably take me somewhere near a year to finish, considering all the details I'll need to consider (conning towers being my biggest obstacle).  Once I do start printing, I plan to send some (haven't decided how many, yet) to each museum fleet boat, free of charge, for them to sell.  On the provision, of course, that the funds of any sold go towards the upkeep of these great boats.

WIP Images of my work:

Basic Electric Boat hull

Early Gato Bridge

Rough Draft of Torsk

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 04:20:02 PM »
Good to have you on board.  We are happy to help out in any way we can at the Batfish....

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
Re: Hi from Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 04:54:24 PM »
Hi Edwin,

Welcome aboard!

If you need any detail info on Torsk, let me know.

Regards,

Gil Bohannon