Author Topic: USS OK Mast  (Read 11285 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
USS OK Mast
« on: June 22, 2010, 11:26:42 AM »
To help answer all of the questions about the USS OK Mast.

Yes it is comming,  I just witnessed it being offloaded from a C17 at Tinker AFB. This was an awsome day.  I got to meed Mr Ed Vesey Who was on the decks of the OK when she went down.  He had just celebrated his 90th birthdand and does not look a day over 60.  The mast will be transported to Muskogee and arrive at the museum on Wed June 23.   Offical welcoming will be on July 10.  Please come out if you can to show your support for the mast and the War Memorial.   

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?S=12685934

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: USS OK Mast
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »
BLHA will help as we can.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 07:07:19 PM »
The Oklahomas mast is a very important part of our history it tells about the life and death struggle of world war 2 maney oklahomans died in the war some on the subs others in the army.*Men you served your country and your states with honor integrity and digity you faught the germens and jappanse to the death and you sacrificed your life to help make your country safe may god bless you and your souls for eternity*

matt
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 01:08:01 PM »
That was a very nice cermemony to the USS OKLAHOMA tons of people there im glad i could be there ...dan boren past right by me it was soo cool
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Ctwilley

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • BLHA Website
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 03:09:09 PM »
It was a great service. Listening to Mr. Cole was the best part. Hearing a first hand description of the attack on Pearl and the part he played was awesome. Listening to him get choked up was enough to get me a little choked up.

On a side note, this afternoon the Bat's bow planes were rigged out for the first time since her second decomissioning. A great day all around.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
It was a great service. Listening to Mr. Cole was the best part. Hearing a first hand description of the attack on Pearl and the part he played was awesome. Listening to him get choked up was enough to get me a little choked up.

On a side note, this afternoon the Bat's bow planes were rigged out for the first time since her second decomissioning. A great day all around.
Darn i wish i coulda seen that i had to get home right after the ceremoney but ya hearing him get choked up about it in your mind you could just picture what those guys went through during the battle i think all of the representives were great speakers too but for me seeing the mast being unvailed was the best its a peace of oklahoma history and navel history and its home.

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 04:41:59 PM »

Here is a link to the photos:

http://www.submarinemuseums.org/forum/index.php?topic=917.0
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 03:17:12 AM »
Did anyone think to record Mr. Cole?  That would be awesome to have recordings of veterans' experiences be run at the museum.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
There were plenty of video cameras that day.  Someone has to have the footage readily available.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
:P I ALMOST got to meet dan boran that day XD

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Moderator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 10:03:47 PM »
I've mentioned in other threads the USS Oklahoma mast at the War Memorial Park and what I feel is mistreatment of this piece of history.

Tomorrow, July 10th, it has been 4 years since the dedication.  It was a big deal...politicians, veterans, and all sorts of guests.

Here is a YouTube video from a Tulsa news station: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAnWo1JsL1s

What gets me is the very end when the reporter says, "This display is only a temporary one until the memorial determines the best way to display it permanently." 

Well, after approximately 3 years, the solution was to build a car port type structure for it.  See the cover.jpg below.

When you compare it to the image "comparison_resize.jpg", you can see the amount of deterioration, the amount of white paint that has come off, and the increase in rust over the mast.  Is this the best that could be done?

I've also included some before and after images.  The before was taken at the time of the ceremony, July 2010.  The after was taken about 6 months ago (I don't know the exact date).  The before/after images are of the same section taken from different angles.  Notice the wood support starting to come apart as well as the rust from the nails.  You can also see a tremendous amount of white paint has come off plus the wire cables have not been moved.

I heard rumors that the Navy was reluctant to give this to the park.  But they were convinced and finally relented.  From the video you can see what it means to our veterans.  I prodded mgmt. many times about this relic.  I was always told there is a plan, but was never really told what that plan was.  With money languishing in the foundation, why wasn't this given priority?  I can only assume there is/was no plan.  Which leads me to believe that no one (park/board/foundation/city) really cares about this.  Why then was it obtained?

People can say everything is great at the park, but from these photos, I would argue the point that "everything" is not fine.  Three years to cover it...and another year gone and it's still sitting out in the elements.  That open air car port building isn't doing squat.  Yes, it might reduce some of the rain, but this isn't a permanent solution and no one can tell me what the REAL plan is for preserving it.

Anyway, just wanted people who don't know me that I'm not making stuff up.  Whoever wants to dispute this, show me evidence that something has been done...then explain why it took so long to do something...and then tell us what the plan is to stop the deterioration.  Cue the crickets.

More bridge burning...but I really don't care at this point.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Moderator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »
A follow up on my post above.  I said:

With money languishing in the foundation, why wasn't this given priority?  I can only assume there is/was no plan.

Then I re-read this statement in Rick's farewell post:

The Muskogee Foundation funded projects that include a restoration of our gangway, expansion of our storage facilities, improvements to the boats lighting (both inside and out), Archival storage improvements, a resurfaced parking lot, and an A/C upgrade to the main building.

I'm not saying that the funded projects were not important...but who set the priorities and why?  Are archival storage improvements more important than the Oklahoma mast?  There was an upgrade to the flower beds too.  Did that rate above the deteriorating mast?  With a limited amount of funds available (or that the foundation is willing to release), there is something wrong with how the monies are being allocated.  

I call upon the board and foundation to do something about the mast...because if you are not a solution to the problem...then you ARE part of the problem.

Mark
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:16:32 AM by MWALLEN »

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 09:45:55 AM »
I feel the treatment of this vital artifact is neglectful and a downright disgrace. If I were the Navy I would repossess it. Yesterday.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »
They should have never handed it over, in the first place, without a well-documented preservation plan and the money to back it up from the museum board/Foundation.  Shame on all parties.   :tickedoff:

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Moderator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 11:40:53 AM »
There are 152 members on this forum.  I've had 2 responses.

I was hoping for more outrage from this community.  I can only ass/u/me three things.  1) people not tied to a museum really don't care, 2) it's not sub related so it's not important, and 3) it's not our park so it's not my concern.

This type of treatment for a one-of-a-kind artifact is S.O.P. for the park.  Take a look around at all the other rusting relics on the park grounds.

What are we (or were we in my case) doing this work for?  The simple and correct answer is for the VETERANS past, present and future.  Is how we treat these artifacts a reflection of what we think of them?  Other park managers and other volunteer types...board members and those on foundations...should be outraged.

The silence is deafening.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 01:12:22 PM by MWALLEN »