Author Topic: U.S.S. Batfish photos  (Read 7890 times)

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
U.S.S. Batfish photos
« on: February 27, 2008, 07:29:06 PM »
Here is the link to my photo bucket album with pictures of the Batfish and other related things. Two things in particular I want you to notice. First is a picture of the back of a ship with a water splash behind it, that is my grandpa's boat the PCE 886 launching depth charges. The other photo is an article about my grandpa when he was on his first ship the U.S.S. Maumee (America's first Diesel ship and long range fuel resupply ship).  Also there are photos of the U.S.S. Grayling memorial out here in Colorado, pics of my model gato class, and pics of my grandpa's taining manual he got at basic training in San Diego. Anyways have fun looking at them.
Link: http://http://s148.photobucket.com/albums/s31/shoot-kill-win/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 07:32:39 PM by Travis McLain (was: SS 310) »
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
Re: U.S.S. Batfish photos
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 08:46:39 AM »
Travis,

Thanks for sharing your pix. I really liked the external shots of Batfish. When Torsk goes to Drydock again, I want to be able to walk around her hull and get a closer look at some things that I just cant get to now without getting wet. And in Baltimore's Inner Harbor, thats just something I am not gonna do!!!!

Gil

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 10:32:51 AM »
I know I have spoken about the missing torpedo door shutters before. I hope you guys can get some welded in place. It would really complete her lines.  She  would look great!  But like anything else, plenty of projects to do!
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 06:12:30 PM »
That is for sure, I think right now we are going to get the paint done first, then work on other outer renovations.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 07:05:33 PM »
I know I have spoken about the missing torpedo door shutters before. I hope you guys can get some welded in place. It would really complete her lines.  She  would look great!  But like anything else, plenty of projects to do!

That is a good idea that I will run by Vaughn...our resident "can do" guy.  He built up the conning tower so that it resembles the old fleet boat look...so something like this should be easy for him.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 01:10:37 AM »
Vaughn is pretty amazing. Too bad they live in another state, and cant get over there too much, just like me. However I know he and his wife are there alot more than I am.