Author Topic: Nice shot of USS COBIA, 1953!  (Read 9588 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Nice shot of USS COBIA, 1953!
« on: June 10, 2010, 01:53:07 AM »
Check out the cool 5 inch wet mount on her deck!  Someday... someday...

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Nice shot of USS COBIA, 1953!
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 03:00:28 AM »
dang looks like those guys had some fun hey paul i got a question you sir im trying to do some reasrch on the USS COD about how it discovered the O-19 but all i have been able to find several websites including the cod and i saw the youtube version but do you know of any books or anything like that its quit hard to find  US submarine books not hard to find uboat books
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 07:55:29 PM »
Hey take a look at this thread:

http://www.submarinemuseums.org/forum/index.php?topic=123.0

I need to do some updating, but it's a start.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 08:23:14 PM »
i got 1 word to say lance....JACKPOT!!
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 11:02:08 PM »
OK BrokenArrowTiger... what do you mean, "how they found O-19?"   The were sent there by the Commander of TF 91 to aid the Allied sub.  I am probably about the best source of info on this subject on this side of the Atlantic (outside of the Dutch Onderseedeinst Tradikamer... what do you want to know about the rescue?  You can read my 5,000-word article one the rescue mission in one of the more recent issues of World War II magazine, look for the cover with General Patton's face.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:36:44 PM »
Okay my first question about it is How well cordinated was the plan to free the O-19? Ona side note i know the O-19 is still on that reef today not totally destroyed probley in 6 years when im older i would like to go out and  do more reasrch on the O-19....My second question how were the conditons inside the USS COD after the dutch crew came in imagine it was pretty crampped was there much communication?...sorry for so maney questions and being annoying it just marvels me soo much about theese crews worked and how they did there job so goodin some very bad conditons for months...

ps call me matt

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 07:43:03 PM »
Well I can say with certainty that a sub to sub tow is not covered in the seaman's guide... but both skippers were pretty good boat handlers, espcially Capt. Westbrook of the COD.  But the O-19 had vertical mine tubes in her saddle tanks. These open-bottom chutes had large coral heads up inside them.. virtually riveting her to the reef. 

O-19, like USS DARTER (a US sub siimilarly grounded on a reef) was completely scrapped by privateers over the last decade. You might find a scrap or two at low tide but not much more.

Inside COD the engine room crew slept beside their engines to free up additional bunks in the AB berthing space. Not much talking going on from what I am told... the dutch were in a state of shock at the stress-filled stint on the reef. The skipper closed the main air induction on COD and opened the forward escape trunk hatch, creating a virtual wind-tunnel effect as the engines drew their air from the forward torpedo room... the crew was delighted by this.

Paul

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 08:19:03 PM »
Thanks ya i saw pics of the USS DARTER riddled with holes the darter though had completed its mission in finding out where the yamoto was...it seems overall conditions really wasnt that bad though i bet provisions ran low pretty quick thanks paul

matt

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 01:17:56 PM »
Provisions running low? Not really.  A 50% increase in crew for three days may have put a dent in the food stores but when COD dropped the O19 crew off in Manila Bay, they immediately resupplied from the advanced base tender there (Proteus?).  If they were aboard for two weeks, yes I think it may have been beans and weenies for luch and dinner!    ::)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
You can read my 5,000-word article one the rescue mission in one of the more recent issues of World War II magazine

Paul - It's not World War II magazine, but WWII History magazine. 

Matt - Look for the September 2009 issue, beginning on page 40.  If you can't find it anywhere, I can scan it and create a PDF document if you'd like.

Thanks,

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 02:50:57 PM »
beans and weenies honestly not that bad 8) and thanks mark il search for the issue i might volunteer for the batfish next week

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 06:02:34 PM »
I want that gun back!  :'(  Where did this picture come from anyway? I've never seen it before.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
Karen:

We all want that gun back aboard COBIA!  We're working on it... they built more than 200 of them and there must be more around. Two in Ballast Point parade grounds and I am sure there is a VFW post somewhere in the USA with one in front yard.

The picture is from the collection of USS COD officer Dan McGrew. I can send a bigger file if you want (hopefully sooner than the HNSA pics :o)

Paul

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 01:06:19 AM »
Paul,

I would love a copy of the picture...if you ever get around to sending me pictures... ::)

Karen