Author Topic: new things at the Batfish...  (Read 137304 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: new things at the Batfish...
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2008, 11:52:18 AM »
For all.

Mark S is correct.  Befor we can do anything wit the after battery we will need to remove all of the stuff.  this also means placing the water tanks into their proper position.  From my initial analisys, 90% of this stuff is junk that needs to be hauled off to scrap.  However, everyone will need to check to make sure.  I do not wnat to remove anything that is important or has any value.

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2008, 12:53:40 PM »
Isn't that the battery room with those huge cylinders? The ones that me, Joseph and you (Rick) nearly killed ourselves trying to lift.  What are we doing with those? The only way I could think to get them out is cut them. Or are those the water tanks? :-[
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2008, 12:59:11 PM »
Those are water tanks.  We are not cuttingthem.  and as I recall everyone wimped out. and I did not get my come-a-long together to help move them.
 ;D
Rick

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »
Ah, I get it. Picking on the indian kids. Thats racism! lol Im just joking. That stuff was pretty heavy, even Josiah had a hard time lifting his end. (All by himself!  :o) It would be a heavy lift but I think two guys on each end could do it.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2008, 02:41:43 PM »
It would be a heavy lift but I think two guys on each end could do it.

So...you'll be out Saturday to help?  We'll have Rick, me and Mark S. for sure...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 03, 2008, 09:52:30 PM »
Plan on it. But like everything in my life it comes down to my race schedule. Suzuki threw me a 125 and told me to get going. So pending their schedule I am trying to.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2008, 11:56:11 AM »
Ah, I get it. Picking on the indian kids. Thats racism! lol Im just joking. That stuff was pretty heavy, even Josiah had a hard time lifting his end. (All by himself!  :o) It would be a heavy lift but I think two guys on each end could do it.

Negitive.  that would be called racial profiling.....

Remember we live in a kinder and more politically correct society now.......

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2008, 12:01:23 PM »
Bradley Wynn says it so much beter then I can.  Please any contact will help out her.   

Rick

So, I know a lot of you are curious about what could be coming down the pike for the Batfish.

I can't share a whole lot, as we are still trying to get it all down on paper and it takes time to research and put what you learn into a viable working plan.

However, as for the immediate future...

We need to raise $100,000 within the next two months to meet Phase One of our proposed Memorial development plan, with a start date of November 11, 2008.  Phase One is the sandblasting, repair, and exterior painting of the Batfish.  This could conceivably take up to six months to complete - IF - the money is in hand first.

This goal is very doable but will require everyone talking about it and telling the Batfish story.  If we have enough media outlets pick it up, it could generate some much needed financial support.  I am putting together a press kit that will outline the details and provide all the information needed.  But I need help to get it to EVERYONE.

So, any help you can add to the effort is MUCH appreciated.  If you know folks, get me their contact information.  Grease the way and let them know something big is coming their way.

As for the rest of the Plan, let's just say for now (until I have more put together for you) try to look at the Memorial in this way:

Imagine what it could become.

Thanks!

Bradley

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2008, 12:08:13 PM »
I have a HUGE imagination.  We've already discussed the different "pool" ideas. :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2008, 11:33:11 AM »
We need to raise $100,000 within the next two months to meet Phase One of our proposed Memorial development plan, with a start date of November 11, 2008.  Phase One is the sandblasting, repair, and exterior painting of the Batfish.  This could conceivably take up to six months to complete - IF - the money is in hand first.

This goal is very doable but will require everyone talking about it and telling the Batfish story.  If we have enough media outlets pick it up, it could generate some much needed financial support.  I am putting together a press kit that will outline the details and provide all the information needed.  But I need help to get it to EVERYONE.

Where do we stand on this?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
« Reply #100 on: November 18, 2008, 01:54:56 AM »
alas - no real change.  definately not the $100,000 needed.  This is the crux of funding effort.  However, I am finishing up the proposal needed for presentation to the City of Muskogee, now that funding from that source is finally opening up.  How much, I don't know.

That's about it for now.  I was really hoping for better news...

B
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2009, 02:37:53 PM »
Let's adverstise our work day on the 2nd.

Bradley - can you get in touch with media outlets and get us some exposure?

Thanks man.

Mark A.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 07, 2011, 01:32:09 PM »
Hope everyone has had a good holiday and are already enjoying their new year.   
I want to announce a few events that are comming up at the Batfish.  Some are new and some are events that we have enjoyed in the past.   Pass this info on to everyone you know and come out if you can.

Feb  18-19  Batfish Living History Day
The BlHA will be out again to man the boat.   Come out and emerse yourselves in a history as you are guided through the submarine by WWII Submarine reenactors.   

May 5 St Joes 5k Run
If you like to run and want to help raise some funds for a good cause, this is the event for you.  Call and we can get you signed up.

May 9-15 The USS Batfish Submarine vets come out again to visit.   This is a good time to come and get firts hand accounts of wat it was really like as the Batfish hunted and kill 3 enemy submarines in just over 3 days.

May 21 Armed Forces Day
We will take time to honor those who serve for our freedom.  This event will feature additional displays on the grounds, Living history demonstrations, Stories from the veterans themselves, and end with a concert preformed by Cody James, a well known christian artest and supporter of our armed forces.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
Rick,

Not sure if Correy has had a chance to talk to you about the Feb. event, yet.  We're going to make this one a little more low-key and cut back on the hype and advertising.  We decided that we need to focus more on the crew this go-around.  Lots of people are still feeling the burn-out from August.  Visitors are welcome to show up and visit (obviously) and we'll talk with them and give the same tour that we always do, but Correy also has more crew-centric plans in mind.  It's starting to feel too much like a job.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »
This the newext addition to the Museum.  Thank you SSN 681 guys....