Author Topic: Cobia's new paint job  (Read 12231 times)

Offline Karen D.

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
Cobia's new paint job
« on: July 27, 2010, 05:20:21 PM »
So what do you think? Should I stick with this color? :)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Cobia's new paint job
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 05:24:48 PM »
Well Karen,

You HAD the chance to paint her "PINK"    thank you for not doing so.... i.e. down periscope... ya know white lead mixed with red lead paint... There are many of us whom have been scarred by that movie, seein a WWII boat painted pink is horrible... makes for a good movie though. :2funny:

Thank you for helping preserve the COBIA ;)

Darrin

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 05:56:12 PM »
Karen
I like that, it should draw attention to the boat, maybe we should try that.  :2funny: Great to see her getting preserved.
Tom

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 06:10:42 PM »
It feels good to work on the boat again. I didn't have time to work on it at all in May and June. Now that the weather is nice and I have the time I can finally work on the project I've been waiting since October to do.

It was fun to paint her red, but I like the grey better :) ...but not before having a little fun first... 8)

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
painting update
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 05:52:01 PM »
Well it's taking forever, but the old girl is starting to look normal again. I won't have time to do the gun decks this year, but at least the exterior is looking pretty nice. Just have to finish the railings and thrwo on touch of black and I will be all done (for the time being). Should be able to wrap it up this week and have finished pictures soon.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 06:12:08 PM »
Lookin good Karen,  it looks like Cobia was painted black at one time or another which isn't a big deal.. I am sure that Martha may be suprised at the light color of grey that is painted on her though :coolsmiley:   Great job again taking it down to bare metal and doing it right :smitten:

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
Nothing beats the smell of paint in the summer. Looking great Karen.  :knuppel2: I guess you are about to run out of painting weather. It is getting cold here too,  only hit 81 today, had coats on until 0900. Hang in there and keep up the good work.
Tom

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »
Our slightly younger sister (but who is gonna worry about three months?) is looking nice! 

:smitten: We have shots of COD in drydock in '52 where much of her CT is YELLOW!

But Darrin, don't forget, some WW II skippers painted their scope shears PINK in the hope this would provide a good cammo scheme!!!  Most scope heads were already pink, so the shears were for those skippers who felt it was just more of a good idea!   No kidding!

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 05:58:19 PM »
I remember Paul about the pink paint, hey as they said back then "anything goes" :2funny:

Glad to see that the COBIA is getting a new paint job and that Karen and company are doing it right and not just painting over the old bubbled paint :smitten:

Darrin

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:05:44 PM »
First of all Tom, you crack me up. I am thrilled that it is still in the mid 60s here! It feels great! :smitten: I'll stay out there even if its in the 50s but my days are numbered.

Yes, we did do it the right way going down to bare metal in most places, that's why I'm not done yet. It was worth it though. Thank God it's still nice out or I'd be in trouble.

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 12:27:05 PM »
I'm DONE...for the season...on the exterior... :)

Thanks to an unseasonably warm fall here I was able to get to a very acceptable stopping point. The boat is looking pretty good, althought the parts I didn't get to this season look worse now ::) Oh well there is always next summer.

In a few weeks we'll be loading three Mk 14 torpedoes. I'll keep you up to date on that.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 10:12:57 AM »
Karen:

Nice job!   The old gal looks ready for a twirl on the dance floor at the ball!     :smitten:

Now to get our "date" looking as nice....
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Materene

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2011, 01:08:48 AM »
Lookin good Karen,  it looks like Cobia was painted black at one time or another which isn't a big deal.. I am sure that Martha may be suprised at the light color of grey that is painted on her though :coolsmiley:   Great job again taking it down to bare metal and doing it right :smitten:

I am not 100% sure this boat is the cobia, but I will know in a month or so after I get records from St Louis

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 03:04:56 PM »
No, that's not Cobia. Great photo though! Hope you can identify the boat.