Individual Submarine Boards > USS Cod (SS-224)

Name That Radio

(1/2) > >>

Mark Sarsfield:
I noticed that you have your original radio receiver in the ward room in the forward cabinet.  I've seen the same radio in a picture of Capt. Fyfe eating Christmas dinner aboard the Batfish.  What is the brand and model?  Were the officers able to tune in their own radio stations with this?  Thanks.

Paul Farace:
The radio in the wardroom is one of two that were aboard during the war. We have both. One model was photographed in her commissioning pictures and the other model was used on the 7th patrol.  They are RBO's from Scott Radio Corp.  One is an RBO and the other is an RBO 2  I think... I will check.

These were standard short-wave radios with the standard AM broadcast band and a phonograph input (not unlike a home entertainment receiver today) and yes, they were used to tune in entertainment and to amplify the phonograph output.
These were used well into the 1970s!

Mark Sarsfield:
I'll have to keep an eye out for one.  Granted, the AM band has changed since the 30's and 40's.

Paul Farace:
I am not a radio expert but I am not aware that the AM band has changed!!!  I have seen monster consol sized livingroom radios from the late 1930's that have the same AM range that my car radio has today!   

Mark Sarsfield:
I had a portable 1937 Motorola AM radio that was outside of the current AM band.  I sold it to another reenactor, but I might still have a photo of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version