Author Topic: 120V Electric Clock - Ward Rm.  (Read 6835 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
120V Electric Clock - Ward Rm.
« on: August 08, 2010, 07:31:04 PM »
Guys,

I need pictures and info on the clock that would have hung in the ward room.  Preferably from a boat that still has the original.

I'm keeping my eye on this 15" Seth Thomas wall clock on ebay...  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310239275217  We still have the wires (taped off) that went to the original.  I'm guessing that it got its power from the lighting circuit.

I wonder if one of these mentioned in this other post were mounted in there... http://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/990103944/m/6091048402
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 07:46:21 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: 120V Electric Clock - Ward Rm.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 06:31:50 AM »
As far as I know, all clocks were manual windup, never heard of an electric clock on a submarine, had to give the Quarter Masters something to do.
Tom

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 08:49:02 AM »
Remember too that we have enough ships clocks for the boat curtisy of Dennis Gilber.  I am still waiting on the cages for the clcks.  I am about to get a new fabricator a the one we have been trying to work with doe not seem to be too interested in the work....

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 09:12:01 AM »
Roger on all.  Here's what Dennis Gilbert wrote:

Hi Mark, Those clocks were made up through about the late 70’s. The ward room clock was a 8 day wind-up,  We have a Chelsea 8 day ships bell for the ward room. Rick has the designated clock and it can be mounted anytime.
We never to my knowledge had any electric clocks aboard.
Best,

Dennis

He's not sure why there is a taped off electrical cord behind the clock mount.  My guess is that a light fixture may have been under there at some point.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 11:40:06 PM »
Seth Thomas Mk 1 deck clock... 8 day wind up.  Used aboard virtually ALL subs up to 1962 as far as I can tell.

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed