Linked Events

• USSVI 2008 Convention: September 01, 2008 - September 07, 2008

Author Topic: USSVI MEETING FT WORTH  (Read 33743 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
USSVI MEETING FT WORTH
« on: March 27, 2008, 11:29:06 AM »
The USSVI meeting in FT Worth is becoming a big issue.  Correct me if I am wrong in any area.   The Museum boats will have a table at the trade show to help promote awareness of the museums.  Reps from all the boats should attend to give the convention goers a chance to ask questions and find out how each museum is preserving their boat.  This will also allow all of the boats another chance to get together and share ideas. 

Right now the booth needs a way to play media and a video of each boat.  Perhaps a walking tour of the boat and a video about what has been done and what needs to be done.  I would also suggest everyone bring qinted literature.   

Rick
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 10:52:01 PM by Lance Dean »

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: USSVI MEETING FT WORTH
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 11:56:31 AM »
My thought would be that someone brings a computer with a large display or even a projector (they can be bought for $450 or less, now - I recommend the Favi 1030).  Each boat saves their film footage as a .WMV file, which is saved onto the computer.  Put all of the movies on the desktop and click on which one that you want to play.  There might even be freeware out there that will automaticaly cycle through movie files.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 11:57:52 AM »
Another thought is to print out the Google map showing the markers where all of the museum boats are.  It doesn't have to be huge and could be an 8 1/2 x 11 display on the table.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 05:41:50 PM »
That would be a good idea, so people know that they are in unusual places, like Oklahoma, and arkansas. :o
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 06:16:01 PM »
See what happens when you have mixers like salors and torpedo juice.    :2funny:

Notice us Airmen just dont get that crazy.   

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 06:35:25 PM »
Rick,
Don't worry, we will take care of you and teach you right, after all what could go wrong, you will be surrounded by submarieners.
Tom Bowser

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 10:51:13 PM »
http://www.ussvi2008.com/

September 1st - 7th.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 11:02:29 PM »
So, it's a week-long event.  What day do we plan on having the museum boats meeting?  There's no way that I could be down there for a whole week.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 05:16:05 AM »
As far as I know it will not be a formal meeting but an area set up where we can all talk to anyone thats interested and with each other for as how many days you can be there. I plan on being there for thurs, friday and saturday.
Tom Bowser

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 10:24:44 AM »
The full page ad for the Lockwood Internet Base's projects that will be in the USSVI Convention booklet should be available for viewing soon.  I'll let you know more when I find out.  Or else Bill Lee or Tom Bowser will.  :)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 06:07:57 PM »
OK guys, here's the ad that Lockwood Internet Base will have in the 2008 USSVI Convention booklet.

http://www.submarinemuseums.org/pics/misc/conventionad2008.pdf

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 06:52:15 PM »
Nice flier.  Kind of busy, though.  My A.D.D. level isn't high enough to absorb it all in one glance.   ;)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2008, 11:17:27 PM »
Guys,  We will be setting up the table, probably around Tues or so. As we get closer to the convention time, we can pin down who can be there and what days and so forth. I think the idea of putting things on files then showing them through a laptop or computer makes sense. Plus if someone is there who actually works on a museum boat, they of course can go into much more detail. However anyone wants to present their boat is fine with us. We are just providing the space to get the word out. I would suggest that one of the things to have available for people is info on how to donate and where the money will be going. We willl of course have the POH patches for sale and any of the boats that have their own rockers and want to bring them, we'll help sell those also. Your ideas and wishes are what we want to hear. Just drop me a note and let me know what works for you. Also any movies, pictures, etc you want to send along will be great. Paul sent a nice disc full of pictures of the Cod and I also have saved several of the short videos that the Cod has. I'd like to do that with the rest of the boats. I of course have the trailer that Tom sent from the movie being made on the Drum.
Please let me know how we at LIB can help.
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 12:02:17 AM »
Sounds like we will have a limitied amount of time.  I defiantely want to get some stuff together for you.  I also want to be there.  I am working with the Camber toward that end.  Let me more about how long we have and what we do.  I do have 2 videos that are good for viewing.   Keep me posted

rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 09:14:07 AM »
Show the one with the female reporter.  The guy is kind of a dork in the other one.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor