Author Topic: Jim Flanders sick!  (Read 7937 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Jim Flanders sick!
« on: November 04, 2010, 10:04:44 PM »
Shipmates:

Just go the word that Jim Flanders (sub HAM radio guy) had a heart attack. No further details, but it doesn't sound good. Say a prayer and transmit it to God on the 40-meter band!

Paul

:'(
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Jim Flanders sick!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 11:15:26 PM »
Prayers for Jim!

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:12:29 AM »
Just got this info from our Flanders contact:

He is in the ICU at the hospital in Plano.  They did an angioplasty (sp?) and unblocked one artery.  He still has 3 more that need attention.  Unsure if he will need bypass surgery or stent placement.  He will be having more done shortly, she is not sure of just what at this time.

More as it becomes available...

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 10:38:54 PM »
Prayers for Jim - please keep us posted.

Gil

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 04:14:15 PM »
The Batfish Crew is on board with this as well.  Keep us posted.   

rick

Offline W5HOY

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:17:50 AM »
Hello EI just got off the phone with Marie Flanders, Jim's wife.  The open heart surgery went OK on Monday.  He went in at 0930 and was after 1600 when he came out.  He is still in a lot of pain right now.  They removed the breathing tubes today, and he was able to drink a little bit of water.  It is planned that tomorrow (Wednesday) to remove the drain tubes from the areas around his lungs and heart because he seems to be clearing up in that area fine. 
In a nutshell, Jim had quadruple by-pass done, and he still also has the one stent in place.  He is still in the ICU so no phone calls yet.  Marie took the lap-top home, so no contact there. (Don't want to leave it just laying around, plus he won't be able to use it for a little while). 
They had him sitting up today for a while, and plan to get him again tomorrow a couple of times.
She will call me with any future updates.

Side note to John, W8DKI.  Jim had a heart attack last Wednesday.  He was at his doctor's office because he was starting to have another episode like he had last May.  Weak, dizzy, and all-around yucky feeling.  Fortunately the doctor saw this first-hand and had an EKG run on him.  He took one look at it and told Jim to get to his cardiologist PDQ.  He did and was promptly admitted for angioplasty.  One stent was put in place at that time, then observation for a day or two, then on Monday, the open heart surgery.

Also, while I am advising of medical conditions, Frank, W5RNF is still in a nursing home/medical facility in Plano.  Apparently his Kidneys are shutting down and he has to have dialysis.  He has had some ports implanted for this process, but it will take 4 or more weeks or so for them to properly "Seal up" with no infections and the like.  John, KC5RIN has been trying to hold the Good Ol' Boys group together each evening.

That's all I have for now guys & gals.  I will pass along more information when Marie calls me with it.  I am NOT going to pester her.  She has enough on her plate right now
veryone - I got this today concerning Jim Flanders surgery - UPDATE:

Charlie -W5HOY

Offline W5HOY

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Pete Dewitt - Another key Subvet
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »
Hi All

Just got this news about Pete Dewitt  Kf4PDH- another of the subvets who is active in same circles as Jim Flanders -

I received a call from Pete's daughter Lori (my God daughter) that he is in the hospital in Jacksboro, Tennessee.  She found him on the floor yesterday (Tuesday) when she went to check on him.  She said he has congestive heart failure, and pneumonia.  She said he was having a problem getting Oxygen into his lungs (again).  He has been on O²  24/7 for quite a while now.
He had told me he had been taking water pills to try and keep the water content down, but they would interact with some of his other meds he was taking.  So, they were trying to "Get a balance".  I just talked with him via a SKYPE Video call on Monday evening, and he seemed OK at that time.
I'll send more along as I find out from Lori.  Let's keep him in our prayers

Charlie W5HOY

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 01:17:10 PM »
What's the update on all of these folks?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 09:23:27 PM »
From our shipmate Fritz regarding Jim:

From last night,
I just got off the phone with Marie Flanders, Jim's wife.  The open heart surgery went OK on Monday.  He went in at 0930 and was after 1600 when he came out.  He is still in a lot of pain right now.  They removed the breathing tubes today, and he was able to drink a little bit of water.  It is planned that tomorrow (Wednesday) to remove the drain tubes from the areas around his lungs and heart because he seems to be clearing up in that area fine. 
In a nutshell, Jim had quadruple by-pass done, and he still also has the one stent in place.  He is still in the ICU so no phone calls yet.  Marie took the lap-top home, so no contact there. (Don't want to leave it just laying around, plus he won't be able to use it for a little while). 
They had him sitting up today for a while, and plan to get him again tomorrow a couple of times.