• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Paint
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 07:59:54 AM »
They do have a link to our site.

Yes, I know, but that is not what I meant.   ussbatfish.com (official) vs. ussbatfish.org (foundation) vs. batfish.org (subvet base)...I'm already confused  :idiot2:  Maybe they should consider ussbatfishfoundation.org...or something more descriptive.  My 2 cents.

You do a better job though,  and that is not just fatherly pride...

Thanks pappy!
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 08:23:09 AM »
I agree here.  This is a problem that has plagued me from the beginning.  Unfortuenately I do not have a contact with there web designers.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2008, 02:35:15 AM »
THis may seem like a trival point, but in time, it will be an issue...

Resist the temptation to place plaques honoring donors aboard the submarine. Find a very nice spot ashore. The reason is simple -- if you're successful, and you should be, the boat will be covered with "thankyou" plaques in time and the historic fabric will be covered and altered. There is one "Honor Roll" plaque aboard COD, placed there before we understood fully what was best for COD. It will soon be moved because it covers the spot where COD's builder's plaque was mounted and I am working on getting it replicated.

You should honor your donors, but remember, in 10 or 15 years you will need to repaint, sandblast, etc., and having a boat already covered in plaques makes the new ones less visible... This is an issue with other, older ships that have gone through many donor "cycles" -- its best if you have a wall of honor elsewhere.

Me, personally, I am working on the opposite side of the coin -- I'd like to have a wall of dishonor for the president of a local foundry company who told his manager to NOT help USS COD make a replica builder's plaque!!!  :tickedoff:

It might be floating in the blue water inside our PortaJohns!

PF

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2008, 10:51:16 PM »
That is a clear given.  I have already decided that the park is not going to look like the back wall of a baseball field.   I am happy to our supporters.  My grand theam is to creat a sign post at the enteranc, or some other noticalbe location and place a love me board as it were. 

Rick

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2008, 11:21:23 PM »
a sub that shall remain nameless was covered in brass plaques that were drilled onto the bulkheads for -- get this -- subvets who cleaned compartments!!!

The boat floated about 8 inches higher in the water when most of the plaques where removed.

PF
 :buck2:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008, 02:43:12 PM »
I know that sub   USS TimesSquare......

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008, 12:00:48 PM »
For the sponsors maybe you could have a plaque at the entrance that says, "Thanks to our generous donations by: Blah blah blah."
It's not on the boat or museum at all, but still seen by patrons so the companies are happy. Keeps away from it being on the sub, or like Yankee Stadium.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008, 12:37:59 PM »
Definately.  This is the idea that I had in mind.   This way too we can standardize the sponsor signage  so we keep that nice military uniformity.

Rick