Author Topic: Paint  (Read 22694 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Paint
« on: May 16, 2008, 05:15:14 PM »
Ok old timers disease is kicking in again.   No offense......

Does anyone have any information onf the Sherwin Williams deal that Cavalla was working for free paint.   I am talking hard and heavy with a gentleman about painting the boat.  He has connects and seems to be very interested in the boat.   We may have to purchase some sponsor signs before this is all through though.  (no problem there).   

any input would be appreciated.

Rick

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Paint
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 06:02:59 PM »
Does anyone have any information on the Sherwin Williams deal that Cavalla was working for free paint.....

I didn't know the Cavalla was doing this.  The Drum is (or has) worked with Sherwin-Williams on a paint deal, however.  Ask Tom Bowser about it. 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Paint
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 06:05:08 PM »
Neal Stevens, the owner of www.subsim.com, works with the Cavalla, if memory serves me correctly.  Drop by their website and drop him an email.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 06:22:21 PM »
I don't know about the Cavalla either but I worked the deal with Sherwin-Williams and they are going to provide up to $5,000 at their cost in paint. I mentioned to them that they needed to consider doing this in other regions for the other boats, I will check and see if that idea is being considered. You might find out the name of the district manager in your area and talk with them and tell them what we have going, I will do what I can down here.
Tom Bowser

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:41:44 PM »
Thank you this helps out.  The guy that I am working with right now actually worked in the Louisiana area after katrina.  I am hopeing that this will help out on the paint situation. The superstructure still remains to be a major consern.  I anticipat a lot of restoration that will need to occure there.

your continued help is apreciated.

Rick

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:55:51 PM »
The superstructure and deck supports is going to be a major headach for us too because when they hauled the boat and put it high and dry 7 years ago they didn't sand blast under the deck, only where it was visable to tourists and of course thast wasn't done right either, they just painted over the rust underneath and it is really getting bad now. We are hoping to start sand blasting and painting after next week.

Thats what volunteers are for-to help and our boundries don't stop at the local fence.
Tom Bowser
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 06:58:01 PM by Drumvol »

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 08:33:11 PM »
preservation has been the same problem for us.  Right now, we do not know how much of the suppersturcture will be left after the sand blasting.   As with everything,  there is a high dollar inital cost to stabalize things.  Once that is done mantenance will be easy and cost effective.

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 08:42:13 PM »
Your are right there, I am also lucky to get a local steel company to donate all the steel I will need, of course with two of us doing all the work it will be spread out over several years. Be glad you don't have a battleship and two dozen planes.
Tom Bowser

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 02:44:04 PM »
Speaking on the superstructure: Does the fact that the Batfish is on land with water sometimes around it accelerate the decay rather than if it was perfectly dry or sitting in water?
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 03:18:02 PM »
The fact that it's not exposed to salt water is a big bonus.  I don't know if sitting in fresh water would be any more or less of a benefit than sitting on semi-dry/muddy land.  The paint is what protects the metal at the end of the day and water is no friend of steel.  One bonus for us is that it is mostly accessible for maintenance.  The boats in the water must pay for an expensive dry docking for overhaul every time.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 08:10:37 PM »
I knew that salt water kills metal. Look at cars in Floridia where I used to live and that tells ya they don't mix. As for paint just get all you can in any and all colors. We can make it a tye dye boat.  :2funny: or a rainbow boat (don't think that would go well with Navy jokes though) or paint some racing stripes. Or we can be traditional and paint it the original color. It's all up to Rick.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 10:03:35 PM »
It's really up to the museum/boat board and the vets.  They are insisting on sand-blasting before painting, which will require them to raise double the money that they currently have saved up.  We're talking tens of thousands, but it sounds like we might have some help from Sherwin-Williams on the paint side.  Do you know any oil barons with money to burn?   :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 02:57:26 AM »
Ironically ya....I do. His son races with me (but in a different class) all over the country. But good luck getting a dime out of this guy.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 08:53:17 AM »
Some of the richest people are also the cheapest people - that's how they got rich.  We need some generous old lady that wants to make a final mark on civilization before she gives up the ghost.  Restoring an old fleet boat would be like taking a walk down memory lane.  We need a billboard that reads: "Generous widow needed to restore WWII boat to former glory".

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 12:49:33 PM »
This is just a thought and I am sure others have thought about it, but why not ask bussiness's to sponsor. Say that they will be in the news paper and mentioned in any publicity on it and the like. Tens of thousands.....anything would help it seems like.