Author Topic: Getting the word out  (Read 25428 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Getting the word out
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2008, 12:46:52 PM »
Rick was enlisted A.F.  He's the best manager that a park could have and he showed up at the right time before it was too late.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2008, 05:23:27 PM »
Well that is called human nature or in some cases, it is just the one's who will never do anything being jealous of those who go out and accomplish something. Read Ayn Rand.
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2008, 07:01:59 PM »
I see that chris has deleted himself for whatever reason.  I didn't do it.  I hope this comment was not directed towards Rick at the Batfish.

Me too.  I have no military experience either but have been volunteering and doing the website for over 10 years.  Maybe I'm not qualified either.  :D

However, I don't care what others think...I love the Batfish...and will continue to come out and restore her.  And if we will work in weather we had today...well, then it has to be love of the boat  :smitten:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 09:43:25 AM »
Hey guys, any of you guys who work on our boats on a regular basis know far more about them than I do. You are qualified in the best sense of the word.  I went up to the Marlin the other day and started looking at things and realize how much work I will have to put into just knowing what is what and what it does.  I qualifiied on the Snook and when I went to the Scorpion which was almost exactly the same, I still spent several months requalifying.  What your past or present job is doesn't matter. You guys work on the boats, have a love for them and in many cases know far more about them that we ever will. So you will just have to learn to ignore some of these subvets until we can educate them more, and that probably won't happen too soon. But also realize there are a lot of us out there that do know your worth and really appreciate it. In my chapter of USSVI, I have to look up to remember who is qualified and who not unless it is someone like Lance, then I know he not cause he works too hard. Same here I can't remember which of you were on boats and which not and who cares. You are there now. That is what matters.
Thanks for what you do.
Viejo :D
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 03:41:56 PM »
Let me clairify.  I am AF and seperated as an E4 (buck SGT).   I do know that Rocco at the Lex was a former Col,  but I do not know wheich branch.    I am not sur what this has to do with taking care of a piect of history.   Believe you I do not have a large resource of Submarine vets in OK to draw from.  The ones that I do have show little, if no interest in helping out.   I muse use the resources that I have.  And I have to say,  the resources that I do have are invaluable to me.  I would love talking to the sub vets.  It is important that They pass on what they know to us.   We were not there.  I am here to help out and to make this museum grow and I will do that......

there is my 2 cents....

Rick

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2008, 08:37:15 PM »
Rick and others who are not submarine qualified, don't ever loose the faith in your abilities to learn your boat and to be able to restore her back to what she used to look like in her specified time period. there are a number of us that are submarine qualifed that work on the diesels that have to requalify on gear that we have never seen before, the only difference between someone who has never qualified and some one that qual'd a 688 is that we wear dolphins and that at times has been a hinderance because we are having to learn completely new stuff all over and not a whole lot transfers over to a boat decommed in '68 and it is hard to figure out what that piece of equipment is/was and how it corelated on a 688. A big part of the reason why I do the school of the boat is so that ALL of us can learn about our boats and be more knowledgeable on how they work.

My .02 worth

Darrin