Author Topic: USS-R12  (Read 9626 times)

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
USS-R12
« on: May 25, 2011, 06:51:53 PM »
So i got some good news USS R12  has been found off of KeyWest she was mistaken as a UBOAT and bombed by american planes their are still 42 sailors etombed inside the ship was lost the 12 of june 1943.

Sources Eternal Patrol
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Wesley Green

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Re: USS-R12
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 09:35:51 PM »
Depends on the sources i guess

Accident and loss
Shortly after noon on 12 June 1943, R-12, while underway to conduct a torpedo practice approach, sounded her last diving alarm. As she completed preparations to dive, the forward battery compartment began to flood.[2] The collision alarm was sounded and a report was made that the forward battery compartment was flooding. Orders were given to blow main ballast, but the sea was faster. In about 15 seconds, R-12 was lost. The commanding officer, two other officers, and three enlisted men were swept from the bridge as the boat sank and were rescued. Forty-two lives were lost.[1] R-12 was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 6 July.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:50:49 PM »
errrmm.i  prrobley got R12 and another sub mixed up my mistake. Its good they found her though brings closure to the relatives .
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 03:15:35 PM »
This is outside of the discussion but.....

I have been told by 1 or 2 vets that the older (S, R and O boats) had a real problem with the batterys rusting out the hulls.  As a resuld it was not uncommon that the batteries would just drop out through the bottom without warrning.   This is second hand info and I am interested on any input.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 11:02:26 AM »
Well that certainy is a problem

Offline Ric

• Seaman
    • View Profile
    • Through The Looking Glass
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:16:16 PM »
R-boats were riveted hulls and were known to rust out their rivets from time to time. Also, there were cases of hull valves and sea water valves that were replaced and the former monel seats were not and plain steel seats used and they would rust away making the valve imposable to close. The case of the "battery dropping though the hull" may be a reference to the F-4 where a leaking battery membrane caused a weakening of the hull and corrosion of rivets and her ultimate loss when the hull imploded.

The friendly fire and sinking of a US sub mistaken fora U-boat was the USS Dorado.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 10:17:47 PM by Ric »
Ric
http://pigboats.com/subs/legends.html
USS Flasher SSN 613 - Plankowner
USS Cusk SS 348 - TAD Rider

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 01:24:29 AM »
So thats what i was thinking of...sorry got her and R12 mixed up...the good thing is they found the R12..it takes 1 submarine off the "missing submarine list"