Author Topic: Transformer repair  (Read 9242 times)

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Transformer repair
« on: July 03, 2011, 08:46:26 PM »
Torsk is in need of the name of a company that can refilland reseal and also rewind some filament/high voltage transformers.  The two filament/hi voltage transformers in our 1MC have elaked and the high voltage windings are arcing to the inside of the case.  We also have a filament transformer in one of the signal generators that has leaked and needs to be refilled and resealed.  Anyone out there have a contact?

Mike E

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Transformer repair
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 10:31:13 PM »
Well as usual I have no idea.  There is a large company here in Mississippi that manufactures all kinds of transformers called Howard Industries.

Offline Karen D.

• Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 01:49:36 PM »
One of my volunteers, Tom Aschenbrenner is going to send you an email. He does all our electronic work and he's the one who got our radar working. Sounds like he might be able to help you out.

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 08:41:19 PM »
Thanks, Karen.  Tom e-mailed me.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:40:47 PM »
OK, you see -- that is why this forum ROCKS!!!  These guys in Baltimore have a problem, they go to the BBS that some crazy guy runs in Alabama (yes?) or Miss., who links them up with a gal in Wisconsin (who really, really is crazy  :2funny: ) and she hooks them up with one of her volunteers who lives in Texas who can help them with their problem.   Bravo Zulu to all involved and especially SUBMARINEMUSEUM.ORG !!!   :smiley6600:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 11:25:54 PM »
....some crazy guy runs in Alabama (yes?) or Miss., ....

:) That would be Mississippi, Paul.  The only submarine I've ever seen is the Drum.  Hope to see more someday.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 11:45:19 PM »
Lance,

WHAT are you waiting for????? GO see the museums that YOU have supported for the last few years..... Because of this BBS and others our museum submarines have come back to life and when they have a question they come here to get an answer or someone to fix their gear...

Beware of that Farace guy in Cleveland, he is a slick one whom may or maynot take you to lunch and show you places that are NOT seen on COD or to the public :coolsmiley:

Thank  you to all whom have donated time on this website to help those whom are restoring their museums back to their respective time frames for future generations to come.

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 02:09:50 PM »
 :uglystupid2: HEY! Who you calling crazy?  :knuppel2:

Offline Earl

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 07:45:04 AM »
Well, Karen... it's sorta like this.

The original sub crews on our boats were volunteers; it's been said that you had to be more than a little crazy to climb inside an eight-foot steel pipe, lock the door, and dunk that sucker in a couple hundred feet of water for hours. But it was wartime (Hot or Cold) and they did what needed doing for their country. Of course, there were benefits, but I'll admit that with the possible exception of the poor, bloody infantry, there might not have been a tougher row to hoe in uniform.

Fast forward to today. We, most/many of us now civilians, are working on these boats - boats that are no longer in active service, no longer fighting a war. Many of the folks working on the boats are also (or still) volunteers, who now work in many of those same difficult conditions, only this time, without the support of the Big Green Machine and lots of sub tenders to feed 'em parts. In other words, after all the years of service, the guys and gals working on the boats now are fewer than full crews, trying to do the work of full crews, without the resources the full crews had.

So you tell me the answer to your questons, but for me, I can say this: Of course we're crazy. That's why we do it.  :D

Offline Karen D.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 09:55:29 AM »
Ha-ha! Well that's a lot like the saying I always tell my part-timers..."You don't have to be crazy to work here. We'll train you!"  :crazy2:

I know I'm crazy, but I've gotta harass Paul  ;)

Offline Earl

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
Wow. I'm verbose without enough coffee. After rereading my own post, all I can say is, thanks for taking it in the spirit intended (playful), and not in the tone that it carried!

For all my years on the Internet, it still amazes me how tough it can be to communicate well. :D

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »
Back on the subject of transformer repair... After some discussion with the referred people, we are still in need of a person or company that does transformer repair.  We have two large filament/high voltage transformers and one small filament transformer that need need repair.  The small transformer needs to be refilled (it is ooil filled) and resealed.  The larger high voltage/filament transformers may need to have the high voltage windings rewound.  They arced over.  The filament windings are fine.  These beheamoths (sp) also need to be refilled and resealed.  If you can direct us to a person or place that does this kind of repair, please let me know.  We are attempting to restore the 1MC aboard Torsk.  It worked until the high voltage transformer arced over.  Thanks!

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 01:44:27 PM »
Mike,

Have you ever heard of a forum/website called Antique Radios?  Lots of guys on there repair old electronics and are a wealth of information.  Here's the link... http://www.antiqueradios.com/.

I've picked their brains a few times on restoring the 1MC.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy