Author Topic: Hurricane Irene  (Read 10269 times)

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Hurricane Irene
« on: August 24, 2011, 11:41:24 PM »
So is Hurricane Irene is headed right for the torsk, How are you all prepareing for it?
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Hurricane Irene
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 02:34:43 PM »
It's pretty rare that a hurricane travels up the bay.  I would guess that they would have to continuously slacken the mooring lines if there's a large tidal surge.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 06:10:14 PM »
Plans for Saturday include hurricane prep. Securing all loose topside gear, getting the lines laid out and ready for slacking. I am not sure yet if anyone plans to ride it out aboard. That will be determined on Saturday.

Gonna be a busy weekend!!!

Gil

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 06:51:01 PM »
Ah well i wish you all at the torsk the best of luck:) I know when katrina hit some people road out in the USS ALABAMA though i bet being in the uss drum woulda been just fine.
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 06:54:33 PM »
Gil,

I would rather be riding the storm out on the Torsk than riding the storm out here at Eustis, there is nothing like riding a hurricane out on a submarine and looking throught the scopes and watching everything moving in ways you never thought that they could.. Had the fun of riding a few out on the Honolulu both in and out of the drydock,  when Iniki came through the Navy wrote us off because we had too many holes in our hull to float if the drydock failed..

Darrin

Offline Gil Bohannon

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 09:58:42 PM »
At the moment I don't think we're planning to have anyone aboard, but we'll decide for sure tomorrow. Expected storm surge is 3-6 feet, so she'll be riding high if it all plays out like they say it will.

Hope all goes well at Eustis!

G

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 12:45:14 AM »
In these conditions the torsk might be the safest place to be so long as she doesnt drift to sea.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 11:27:21 PM »
Stay safe guys.  Hurricanes ain't no joke.  We couldn't handle another Katrina down here for sure.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 07:09:57 PM »
We are battered but not beaten nor are we broken, for those whom have tried to call me my cell since yesterday, my phone went and took swimming lessons yesterday without my permission :knuppel2:

NO fatalities here on post, minimal building damage but a number of trees down and a lot of basement flooding, we lost power at 1 PM yesterday on post and didn't get it back on until 5:30 today.. F'N Generators wouldn't stay running, worked most night trying to keep them up and running, we have never had this many issues with generators before.   

We are all safe and now the clean up has begun, we have a ways to go and we will bring this post back together once more

This post WILL not back down from a storm, we worked through the HURRICANE to make sure that we were as taken care of as humanly possible.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 09:24:48 PM »
Im very happy to hear that ur safe Darrin i hope the same for the rest of people who volunteer on the Torsk. I heard the Navy headed out of dodge a couple days ago. :tickedoff:
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 09:28:10 PM by BrokenArrowtiger »