Author Topic: USS Silversides first engine run 2012  (Read 7661 times)

Offline silversides

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
USS Silversides first engine run 2012
« on: April 15, 2012, 11:30:09 AM »
 We started # 3 & 4 main engines this weekend, first time this season. Everything went well with the ever reliable F/Ms. We had a lot of visitors and everyone enjoyed the sight, sound and smell. I think were off to a good season, stop by if you get a chance. Frank

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: USS Silversides first engine run 2012
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:38:29 PM »
Did you guys capture both engines running on video?  I think I've seen past video of the #3 running.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline silversides

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 03:45:51 PM »
Mark, I'm not sure of which video you are looking at their is more than one out on u-tube. most likely it's both 3 & 4. Frank

Offline Evil Tracey of Torsk

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
Congratulations.  I'm deeply envious.

I am proud to say that I actually got the chance to experience the sight, sound and vibration of FMs underway on a dependents cruise off the Keys.  It still ranks as one of the great experiences of my life.

Keep 'em runnin'!

Offline silversides

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 10:09:43 AM »
we had a group that restores old military trucks come out this weekend and spent the night on board. Lots of fun and they claimed that they are all gearheads and like machinery so we fired up 3&4.  a great time was had by all and i hope they put us on their next years tour again. If you ever get a chance to come up this way let me know and we will do a start up. Frank

Offline silversides

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 10:12:30 AM »
I forgot to ask what's going on on-board the Torsk these days? Do you know Paul Kidd, he used to be a volunteer on her and now lives in Muskegan? Frank

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 12:32:29 PM »
Yep, know Paul Kidd.  He has been a big help to us over the years. Brought us some much needed parts for our restoration effort.

Things on Torsk are going well, at least below decks.  More and more systems are coming on line.  We are in the throws of restoring the lube oil , fresh water cooling water, and Seawater cooling systems in the Forward Engine Room.  Once that is completed, who knows, maybe our #1 and #2 MEs will finally run again.  Our latest conquest is the 1MC/7MC.  It is not 100% yet, but getting closer every weekend.  We are also working on the bow planes trying to get them operational.

You probably wouldn't recognize the old gal if you haven't been aboard in a while.  She's looking better and better inside.  As for outside, we are still battling to get the deck topside rebuilt and the sail repaired.  Both look like hell and the deck is getting dangerous.  We are hoping to start the deck restoration this summer.  Funding is the issue (so, what's new?).

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 10:44:52 PM »
Glad to hear our Danish sister is making major headway!  Just had a family from Denmark aboard COD and asked what name they gave the codfish... just loved hearing them pronounce TORSK!   :smitten:

I will always be able to recognize TORSK as long as Elizabeth is standing topside watch!  How is she these days?

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed