Author Topic: Need to get the word out  (Read 13363 times)

Offline emeacho

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 4
    • View Profile
Need to get the word out
« on: October 13, 2012, 04:49:47 PM »
Wow, I was looking at the number of hits for some of these posts: 0's on a bunch.  I saw twos on some, but I know that I was both of those.  Someone needs to get the woed out that this board is out there.  It's no wonder I get no responses from some of my requests.

Offline nomad66

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Need to get the word out
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:05:21 AM »
I totally agree. Although I don't post much as I am not a sub vet and don't live close enough to a museum boat to volunteer, there doesn't seem to be much communications in the forums. It would be great if the museum boats would post at least once a month about what is happening on their boats. Out of 26 boat forums, only 8 have any activity for 2012, 6 haven't had any postings since 2011, 2 since 2010, 5 since 2009, and 5 since 2008. Do all of these museum boats know we are here?

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 09:51:13 AM »
Hey, believe me I've tried.  When this place first became reality, I bugged every person I could find.

The activity has been up and down, but has trickled to 0 lately.  I'm open to ideas. :)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 01:11:19 AM »
Sorry I have not been able to be more active on the forum... actually running a boat museum leaves little time for this kind of fun stuff... or to put it another, more accurate way... I've found more public and more grevious ways to put my foot in it...  :coolsmiley:  than this relatively friendly, family forum.

Still there are things happening around the museum fleet that should be talked about... I will try to make time now that some of the activity is calming down with the end of the season.  Maybe a report on the submarine Halloween program.. something every fleet boat should be doing!  It has so many benefits and so few downsides.

Yea, that will be my topic in the next few days.

keep up the good work Lance... your efforts are appreciated.
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 09:42:19 AM »
Thanks, Paul.

When I put the word out on Facebook about the Cod's Halloween program, someone asked if you do this every year and if you'd be doing it next year.

Offline Karen D.

• Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Maritime Museum
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 03:48:01 PM »
I put together a report for our Cobia Committee last month on the restoration work we've done this year. I will post and update in the Cobia folder. Like Paul, I've been busy too! Aside from managing the boat, I also oversee all the part-time staff, museum store, and a lot of events. It's hard to keep up with everything, but I will try to post periodic updates. 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 03:48:45 PM »
Lance, since it's been about 5 years since you've tried to get all of the sub museums involved, maybe it's time to try again.  A lot of staff have probably moved on in that period of time.  You may find museum directors or docents that are finally willing to use this board as a resource.  Still, I don't know what the general thinking is at the bigger museums (you know who they are by their lack of participation on this board, to date).   Maybe a site like this is too "low brow" for them.  It seems like the boats that are mainly run and repaired by volunteers are the ones that participate here.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
Lance, since it's been about 5 years since you've tried to get all of the sub museums involved, maybe it's time to try again.  A lot of staff have probably moved on in that period of time.  You may find museum directors or docents that are finally willing to use this board as a resource.  Still, I don't know what the general thinking is at the bigger museums (you know who they are by their lack of participation on this board, to date).   Maybe a site like this is too "low brow" for them.  It seems like the boats that are mainly run and repaired by volunteers are the ones that participate here.

True.  I do need to look into it all again.  I know I need to double check the address/phone #s.

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 12:51:10 PM »
I just sent an e-mail, after contacting them all by phone or e-mail traffic, to all of the lead contacts, curators, chief of the boats, directors, etc. for the US sub museum fleet.  I included this website as a resource and asked that each either participate or send a designee.  The ones that I spoke with were excited about the curator contact list and about this site.  Some have had the job less than a month.  Some have already registered while some are still lurking.  i hope participation picks up!   :)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 01:32:33 PM »
Cool.  So, in some cases my assumptions were correct: New people in charge that aren't aware of the sub museum community at large.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 10:40:36 PM »
More is better! Thanks!

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 09:28:39 AM »
I noticed that there are 30 members that signed up from 2008 through 2012 that have never posted any messages on here.  Maybe it's time to clean house.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Jim

• Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 05:35:21 PM »
I would hate to boot anyone from such a small membership data base.  Maybe they just like to watch.  if your not a knowledgeable sub nut, or have one near you, they may just not have anything to add.   :)  Maybe Lance can out a "Ping" PM to all registered members and see who responds back.

Attention ALL boat reps.  Maybe this web address could be added to your standard boat literature as a neat way for visitors to be involved with subs even when they live in wyoming?   ;D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:37:16 PM by Jim »

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 10:02:28 PM »
I recently went through the membership database and I did purge many accounts that had been created over 6 months ago and the member had NEVER logged in.  I doubt I'd ever remove anyone who actually logs in at some time.  No real need to delete anyone unless they are a spammer, doesn't hurt anything.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »
Was it at least 30 people?  I bet a lot of people hav dropped off over time.  A lot of members don't even supply/list an email.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor