Author Topic: LING museum seeking $ for storm damage repairs  (Read 5124 times)

Offline Evil Tracey of Torsk

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
LING museum seeking $ for storm damage repairs
« on: February 22, 2013, 02:30:59 PM »
http://www.northjersey.com/community/192432821_Navy_museum_remains_closed__seeks_funding_for_repairs_submarine_Ling_site.html

Navy museum remains closed, seeks funding for repairs

FRIDAY FEBRUARY 22, 2013, 9:18 AM
BY  HANNAN ADELY
STAFF WRITER
THE RECORD

The double-wide trailer that houses the New Jersey Naval Museum sits 4 feet off the ground, but that wasn't high enough to escape floodwaters during superstorm Sandy.

The storm surge from the Hackensack River did "extensive damage" to the structure of the museum, which had housed naval history exhibits. Most of the contents of the museum were unharmed, though display cases were damaged. An outdoor exhibit of missiles and several submarines, including the centerpiece USS Ling, sustained no damage.

But volunteers say they don't know when the museum will reopen or how they'll pay for the repairs.

MORE AT LINK

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
Re: LING museum seeking $ for storm damage repairs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 02:56:03 PM »
I hope that they are applying for some of the billions of dollars that congress passed to help Sandy victims.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:36:31 PM by Jim »

Offline ussslaterdoc

• Seaman Apprentice
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
Having had my attention to this forum and this thread brought about by another forum member, I wanted to chime in on the subject.
Although my ship used to hunt down and kill submarines, it is here today as a protector of both the history and the continued survival of her fellow museum ships.
I am contacting my shipmates and friends at the NJNM.I will suggest they join in here, as it can do nothing but help! While it is doubtful that any of those billions will ever make it to the museum, there are other options and opportunities that will turn the tide for the Ling and her shore bound mini-fleet! It will take some ingenuity and some time. But, there is hope on the horizon!
"We" will not let our shipmates go down! As it was in the days when these proud and brave vessels saved the world, the Ling's sister ships and submarines will be there for her!

Offline Jim

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Moderator
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 04:41:43 PM »
The Naval museum community is always strapped for finances.  Some ships have large organizational support and some have one.  The civil community that the Ling lives in should rally around the boat.  The rest of us are too far away to offer anything really, but moral support.  You would think a Home Depot or a Lowe's would offer at least materials, if they were asked, and they could get some good ink out of the deal.  You (museums) have to be proactive and drive for help.  Ask Rick at the Bat.  I myself, am new to the naval scene, but I am a relentless bulldog asking for community support.

$$$ is tight.  You have to ask for things in the strength of the support group you approach.  HD or Lowe's: sheet rock and materials.  HVAC company: ask for servicing. Electrical company: ask for inspection and repairs.  None will be out much, but you would be amazed at the people who will support YOUR company for helping out a veterans' organization.  If I have no vested interest, I will ALWAYS spend my money and solicit from companies that support our troops/veterans or the community in which they serve.  No matter what you see on the news or here from pundits the silent majority will support you, IF they know who/where you are.  Even in Jersey.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:50:00 PM by Jim »

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 07:28:50 PM »
I don't believe blowing the ballast tanks will help much. It is probably like here after a hurricane and mud has filled in the hole the Ling occupied and it will have to be dredged to get her upright again. The Drum was closed up for four months after Katrina and when it was finally opened it was full of mold and meldew. It took Lesley months to clean heer out. I wish them luck and hope the money comes through.
Tom