1 (6.7%)
Firefox 1
1 (6.7%)
Opera
0 (0%)
Other (please post what you are using)
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: What browser are you using? (IMPORTANT POLL)  (Read 15064 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
What browser are you using? (IMPORTANT POLL)
« on: April 10, 2008, 03:51:24 PM »
Well, I need to know what internet browser you guys are using.  It only occurred to me last night that the transparent .png images used throughout this site won't display properly in Internet Explorer 6.  I didn't catch this because here at home I only have Firefox 2.0.0.13 (my browser of choice) and Internet Explorer 7.0.6001.1800 to view this site with.  At work I still have the old Internet Explorer 6 that is total crap.  If you are using Internet Explorer 6 then things don't look the way they should here.  Nothing that interferes with using the site, it just doesn't look as good.

So please vote on what browser you are using.  I can't believe that many visitors still use IE 6, and that should be the only browser that makes the site look crappy.

:tickedoff:

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: What browser are you using? (IMPORTANT POLL)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 04:01:48 PM »
I have IE 6 at work, too, but I prefer 7, which is what I have at home.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 09:16:57 AM »
Based solely off of the 5 responses thus far, 80% of you use Internet Explorer 7, 20% use Firefox 2.  That's wonderful, everything should display properly for those 2 browser choices.

Actually, from my testing with www.browsershots.org (very useful if you have the crazy time) the website should look fine for nearly every major browser that has Flash installed except for Internet Explorer 6, 5, 4, etc.

Offline Viejo

• On Eternal Patrol 12/10/12
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 6
    • View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 01:15:30 PM »
I use IE 7 for a lot of USSVI things as that is what the design for the pages is worked out with, use Firefox 3 Beta5 for searching the internet. Also using more than one browser allows me to bring up something on one monitor then bring the same thing up with a different browser on another monitor and compare or do different things in the same program at the same time.
Viejo
“Keep the memory of the USS Scorpion SSN-589 and its crew alive"
http://www.decklog.com/SSN-589.asp

Offline Bill Wasil

• USS Blueback veteran
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Sonar: The Eyes and Ears of the Boat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
Firefox 3
Bill
From the Sonar Shack

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 04:31:07 PM »
Now of course we have IE8 and even the beta for IE9.  IE8 is what Windows 7 wants us to use and from talking with Tim VeArd, there is still a large majority of those on decklog who use that. There is an increasing number of Firefox users, but when designing websites,according to Tim, it is still harder to make all features work with Firefox than with IE.  Also as more people use Firefox, it is now starting to have some of the problems that IE has with Spammers, etc.  I have a program,  http://browsershots.org/
that will look at around a hundred different browser systems to let you know what a page will look like under different browsers.
I use Firefox and Safari at times, but there are too many older shipmates who only use IE for me to not use it.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 10:59:15 PM »
Uhhh im not smart computers yet? but my laptob has windows 10 if that makes any differnce..FUN TO USE
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 06:40:16 PM »
I usually stay with the latest version of IE.   Hey,  we all know that Bill Gates has the monopoly....

Offline Ric

• Seaman
    • View Profile
    • Through The Looking Glass
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 03:34:29 PM »
Using FireFox 4.01 I've never used Internet Exploder
Ric
http://pigboats.com/subs/legends.html
USS Flasher SSN 613 - Plankowner
USS Cusk SS 348 - TAD Rider

Offline Ric

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »
Quote from: Viejo link=topic=120.msg8974#msg8974 date=1289421067...when designing websites,according to Tim, it is still harder to make all features work with Firefox than with IE...
[/quote

I always design to W3C Standards which IE has pretty much ignored until of late trying to force their own standards. When I design a page I make it to those standards. Usually IE is the only page that it doesn't look right in.
Ric

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 08:51:14 PM »
Ric, can't argue with you cause I don't know enough. I just know that Tim has never steered me wrong and his daughter and son, who now run the company with clients like the Army and Navy Medical Commands, back him up on the fact that IE is simpler to program than Firefox. I also know that their clients want and refuse to use anything other than IE because of many factors, mostly the cost to change. They are still using IE6  for their browsers. So have a notion we are discussing something from different perspectives. I have four browsers on my computers and can't say that I can see much difference anymore between say Firefox 4 and IE 9. IE usually comes up in less than two seconds and for my computer, Firefox is usually slower. But I am also sure I don't know as much about using Firefox as I have learned about IE. I know that downloading and saving files is simpler for me on IE. I also don't seem to have problems with spam or trojans so mainly use the different browsers to be able to bring up mulitple websites at the same time. Then also, doing many websites under the decklog system, it is just simpler to use IE since I know everything will always work with that. But there are a lot of people who prefer Firefox. That number also seems to be increasing. 

Offline Ric

• Seaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 09:21:39 PM »
Everyone has preferences but I've found that with IE BUILT IN to the operating system you leave yourself open to hackers.

I started my life online when Mozilla was the only browsers around. I moved to Netscape when that came around and moved back to Mozilla when it became available again as FireFox. All the experiences with IE have been terrible with pages it can't fine. Locking up and sitting there looking for pages. I had to use my nieces compuker with Win7 with IE to show them something at Christmas and it was the same story Sit and wait. I hear the claims but remain skeptical.... :-\
Ric

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »
Ric, another friend who loves firefox is Myron Howard and he helps me with computer related issues, so I am sure that Firefox is a good system. I just can't say that I have any problems with IE and never have, but also don't have computer crashes, lock ups, etc. To my knowledge, no one has ever hacked into my computer. Once in awhile, VIPRE tells me that someone tried to do this or that or that they stopped a trojan, but none get through. Not sure why, other than I have used things like Ccleaner, Malwarebyte, Spywareblaster for a long time and recently switched to VIPRE for the antivirus; and of course avoid the sites that will for sure give you problems. I have gone and cleaned a lot of neighbors computers and was always amazed at how much junk they collected by not being careful in opening pages and emails.
I brought up IE again just to see and it was less than two seconds to come up with the browser, then typed in Facebook, and it was up in less than two seconds. As mentioned, the main reason I continue to use IE is because many of our older shipmates use it ( far greater percentage than what normal computer users have) so that way, I know when I put up something it will work for them. The big disadvantage I have seen with firefox and I have a notion it is because I have not figured the best way to do it is that with Firefox, if I want to save a file, it uses some download system, then I have to click on that and go through the save process. With IE, I just save and put it where I want. Also each time I update my firefox, then have to check to make sure things still work that worked with the older version. but I don't have any problems with it, just don't see the problems with IE that many report. I am sure you are looking for more less well known things than me, but so far most times I find what I am looking for. Course I also put google for a search engine on IE, Firefox, Opera, and Safari, cause I always thought the search engine was what helped or hindered finding things, but then I am mostly just a type and save type guy, so a lot of what you do is over my head. But good thing is that we keep learning. I do like Windows 7 better than anything since NT 4.0. I use the 64 bit type and other than some things on my sticky password program don't work as well on 64 bit, haven't had any problems with it.  When you have time, give me some examples of things you can't find under IE and maybe I have just never looked for them. I am all for finding something that works better.
Thanks,
Viejo

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 01:05:33 PM »
I use both on my laptop i have had viruses from IE but not with Firefox but really to me it doesnt matter they both really work the same..one thing i was dumbfounded by was mozillas homepage is the BBC a lil suprised when that popped in my screeen but overall i prefer IE even though it does have viruses iv used it for years
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline Viejo

• View Profile
    • Lockwood Internet Base
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
If you have viruses, the problem is in your anti-virus program, not the browser you use. Not to say that IE does not attract viruses more than some browsers, but any of the good anti virus programs should be protecting you from viruses. I go to many sites every day and since 1995 have only had two viruses get by the programs I use and Malwarebytes was able to take care of one of those.