Author Topic: SJ-1 radar questions  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
SJ-1 radar questions
« on: April 11, 2008, 02:52:54 PM »
A guy on the Subsim.com website is trying to model more realistic SJ radar sets for the Silent Hunter IV game.  He read some material that stated that contacts looked like 5 degree arcs on the scope (due to its accuracy), as opposed to a dot.  Is this true?  Also, he wanted t know if SJ radar had a sweep line or did the operator have to pay attention to the radar bearing indicator?  Finally, did any of the SJ radar sets have a range and/or bearing "odometer"?  I know that the SS radar on the Batfish does.

A follow-up question is how far out do contacts show up on the PPI scope?  I thin the max. range is something like 80,000 yards/46 miles, but do contacts really show up that far out?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 03:03:01 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline K0EFV

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 0
  • SSGT "BAND OF BROTHERS"
    • View Profile
Re: SJ-1 radar questions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 06:50:09 PM »
Mark
Sorry I cannot answer the quetions.  Tom Aschenbrenner is the only source I go to, and he was in Manitowoc this past week, but a very hard person to get a hold of.  Their are other  vets up there that also can operate it.  I will try to find some place you can go to.  At one time I did operate airborne radar but thar will be no help here.  Also I was the dummy who was supposed to do a nite time radar navigation run up the Mississipi from Memphis and ended up on the Ohio River by mistake Har Har
K0EFV
Tom USMC

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 07:09:33 PM »
Hey Mark S. - have you looked into the ability to raise the SD mast?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 09:30:28 AM »
It runs on the same hydraulics as the periscopes.  I even think that all three scopes/masts are built the same.  As far as I can tell, all of the hydraulic lines are metal pipe.  The machinery would probably have to be disassembled to clean it up and we need a 250V rectifier to run the IMO pump motors.  I think access to the SD mast is under the radio room, since it is not in the pump room - the shaft runs right behind the huge transmitter.  I have never been in that particular storage room and I don't know what the condition is.  It would be nice to get that system operational, again.  Obviously, our SD (or SV, more than likely) receiver stack is junk.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy