Author Topic: Can You Identify me....  (Read 14766 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Can You Identify me....
« on: April 18, 2008, 06:40:14 PM »
Can anyone ID this medle.  I am guessing from the Cuban campain....

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Can You Identify me....
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 09:14:01 PM »
I found a link to a similar medal called the "United Spanish War Veterans Medal" here... http://www.spanamwar.com/medalsUSWV.htm.  Only thing that seems to be different is the medal hanging from the ribbon.  This medal seems to be for the Philippine Campaign.  Yours is obviously for Cuba.
Supposedly a lot of these were made, since 325,000 troops served in the war.  So, not sure how much you'd get for it.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 10:05:51 AM »
Mark S

Thanks.  I am not so much looking to sell.  It is a museum piece right now and fits into what we do.  I was just having problems getting a positive ID...

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 02:56:52 PM »
I have a group of guys that should be able to ID this. I'll send them a link and see what they know.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 03:34:19 PM »
I'll send them a link and see what they know

FYI - non members can't see the images.  you'll need to download the image to your PC and then send that image, or have Rick send the image to you.

Lance - is there an option to allow non-members to see images???
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 06:28:10 PM »
I got them the image. I just saved it to my PC and uploaded it to photobucket. This is what I was told.
It is an American campain medal for the Spanish War. This particular medal was for two tours of duty, hence the oak leaves but if you look one is missing.

Where it says Phillipines, Cuba, and Puerto Rico is just where the combat areas were I guess. Hope this helps out for now. I will try to see if there is anymore info available on it.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 07:50:13 PM »

FYI - non members can't see the images.  you'll need to download the image to your PC and then send that image, or have Rick send the image to you.

Lance - is there an option to allow non-members to see images???

I believe there is...however, how things are right now helps cut down on bandwidth and encourages people to log in instead of lurking.  :)  I'll look into the option if I can find it.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 05:33:19 PM »
One more for you all.  This is a new item that came in with a very large collection belonting to a spec forces fellow.   We cannot identify this service or country of origin.   I know that the veterain served in both navy and Army starting in WWII and finishing just after Viet Nam.   

Any ideas from you folks...

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 07:23:20 PM »
For some reason I want to say it is Italian but, I doubt that is correct.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 10:52:56 PM »
Look inside all of the pockets for a tag or stamps.  The clamores are usually a U.S. emblem.  The stars look like they might be Chinese, Taiwanese, or another Asian country near the 'Nam.  The uniform has a Wehrmacht feel to it.  A lot of countries mimicked the German Wehrmacht uniform and helmet designs in the 30's, including the pre-commie Chinese army.  I've seen photos of Chinese soldiers that look like they are in German uniforms, but they're fighting the Japanese.

The red backing on the collars lean toward a communist country.  The jacket also looks like a synthetic blend - most WWII uniforms were either cotton or wool.  So, it may be a 50's or 60's era Chinese uniform when polyester was all the rage.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 12:45:58 AM »
I agree, it does look German, but it also looks like Italian. The only thing off is the red where the Italian one is black and white.

It could be Russian hence the red.....but I will keep igging for sure.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 08:20:48 AM »
It needs more pockets that's for dang sure!   ;D

I'm glad I don't have to wear that every day.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 08:35:15 AM »
Another possibility is eastern bloc.  It might be Romanian, Hungarian, Bazooka-stan, etc. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 11:26:27 AM »
There are not tags on this thing and is is some type of polyester.  This guy did spend a lot of time in Viet Nam.  My suspision is either Chinese, Vienamese, or some other east Asian country....

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 11:36:38 AM »
I read somewhere that Taiwan used to have German-style uniforms.  Not sure if they still do or not.  The star definitely looks Asian to me.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor