Author Topic: Missing Reproducer Speaker  (Read 7652 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Missing Reproducer Speaker
« on: May 12, 2008, 03:02:23 PM »
Corrections

Rick,

Looking through the 1MC manual I have determined that the missing speaker in the CT reproducer is 3 Ohms, 6 inches in diameter (outer plate), speaker cone is about 5 inches in diameter, and 4 inches deep - speakers are generally measured by the cone diameter and not the mounting plate..  It has six mounting screws to attach to the face plate with 10-22 threads.  Length of screws appear to be 7/8".  Distance of screw holes to center of speaker is about 2 3/4".  I'm not sure if we would be able to find a speaker with these dimensions (the resistance is a no-brainer).

Speaking of missing electronics, I remember you saying that someone had taken the control room 1MC microphone home with them to work on.  Who was it, again, and do you know if they took the microphone diaphragm in the CT, too?  It would be nice to get these parts back as soon as possible.  Thanks.

Regards,
Mark

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 05:05:58 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Reproducer Speaker
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:50:48 PM »
I think that I found a speaker that will work.  It has the right plate diameter and it's a 4-8 ohm range.  Only two screw holes will line up, but that's fine.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260233756726

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 05:31:57 PM »
That can be easily remedied if it becomes a problem....

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 09:30:20 AM »
Yeah.  We can drill extra holes, but two holes are more than enough.  We're not being depth charged any time soon.

I bought the pair of speakers and will probably see them in the mail next week along with the fan.  I will try to come out at least one Saturday in June to work on these two items.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 09:01:08 AM »
The 5" speakers arrived over the weekend.  I tested one with my portable radio and it sounded like a PA speaker... which is what we want.  It has a fixed screen over the speaker that would be very difficult to remove, BUT it has a very strong magnet at the back of the speaker cone.  My idea now is to just open the reproducer housing, "stick" the speaker to the back of the housing, and screw the cover plate back on.  It won't be going anywhere.  The other speaker is on stand-by for any other missing or broken speakers on the boat - I noticed that the crew's quarters is missing a reproducer, but I'll have to check and see if that room ever had one.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 01:51:41 PM »
As suspected, the powerful magnet on the back of the new speaker was ample to hold it to the back of the reproducer housing.  Apparently, the Navy removed the original speaker some time ago, because the tape on the wires looks to be very old.  There's a 600-Ohm loud speaker/horn near the TDC that probably took it's place. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor