Author Topic: Batfish Deck  (Read 233832 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Batfish Deck
« Reply #195 on: December 14, 2008, 10:37:13 AM »
I am happy to report that we had a good turn out yesterday and got quite of bit of deck put down and a lot more of it sorted, cut and moved into position for final cutting and installing.

My thanks to my wife, Ed Williams, Tim Katzung, Brad Baker, Brandt Hopper & Mark Sarsfield for coming out.  Other than the hurricane-type wind, it was a good day for the middle of December.

I've included a photo from what we began the day with and what we ended up with by the time we left.  Ed, Tim and myself focused on putting deck down, Mark S., Brad & Brandt worked on getting more wood cut and moved into position.  This just goes to show you what can be done when we get numbers out there.

Am hoping to have our next work day on 12/27/08.  Tim Katzung - please email me with your email address.  Mine is ussbatfish @yahoo.com

Thanks!

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 14, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
good job guys. 

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #197 on: December 16, 2008, 03:47:43 PM »
Thanks for sharing your photos as always Mark!

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 05, 2009, 11:08:52 AM »
I've been lax in uploading photos.  We've been busy in the mid-section of the deck, just aft of the bridge.  We have completed the path around the A/C units and yesteday had a group of Army Guard types that ripped up a huge chuck of old deck...and then brought up a significant amount of the new wood.  About 20 guys and gals saved us about a month worth of work in one afternoon

Hoo-ah! 

I'll upload some photos later today...am in the process of writing two research papers for my classes and time is tight.

Mark A.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2009, 02:30:23 PM »
I want to restate MarkA/s post.  Hoo Ya.   All of the volunteers have been an enormous help on this deck project.   As the deck continues to go down the old girl looks better and better.   Help from large organized groups like the reservists yesterday make a big difference.    Let's keep up the good work.

Rick

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 23, 2009, 02:36:00 PM »
I really promise to post some pictures tonight   :D

My evenings have been hectic, but school is almost over and I can experience what I've only dreamed of....some free time...until June when classes start again.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 23, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
OK, here is a time-lapsed over the last two months.

FEB 7: just a few boards in portside

FEB 21: a few more boards in, putting loose boards in to cover the open areas and keep little Johnny from falling in

MAR 7: Starting to fill in, got the section aft of the A/C units done in an attempt to re-route traffic

APR 4: New route open as path is secure, still an open area bottom right and starboard of A/C units.  Notice all the deck remove and new wood brought up and stacked by Guard types.

APR 18: Filled in hole that was at bottom right of previous photo...almost got the gap closed next to A/C units.  Next step is to move aft to create walkway from aft end to deck in middle of photo.

Have I mentioned that there is a work day on May 2nd...?  Did I mention free food?  I think Darrin volunteered to supply the beer.

Anyway, there is your update...I'll try to be more current on posting photos...at least until June when my Undersea Warfare class starts.

Mark A.

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 24, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »
Mark,
IF I was closer to the Batfish I would be more then happy to bring the beer and work on the deck with you all but sadly that is not the case because of being in school and living in Va. BTW that deck looks GOOOOD :smitten:

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #203 on: April 26, 2009, 09:40:28 PM »
Good work as usual guys.  :)

Offline Shipwreck

• Seaman
  • Total BZs: 3
  • Vini, Vidi, Vici.
    • View Profile
    • USS Batfish War Memorial Website
« Reply #204 on: August 14, 2009, 02:08:15 AM »
I might also add that when I walked on this amazing deck this past weekend that it felt so solid and right beyond words.  I live in OKC and it is extremely hard for me to get down and work on the deck.  THESE GUYS ARE A GIFT BEYOND COMPARE.  Thank you to all of you - without you the 'Fish would be in a bad place.
Sincerely,

Bradley Wynn
PO Box 711
Oklahoma City, OK 73101-0711
OFC/FAX:  (405) 601-1950
CELL:  (405) 833-1727
bradley@scriptfolio.net
www.ussbatfish.com

Mission Statement:   “The USS Batfish War Memorial remembers those who have served, preserves the legacy they leave behind, and educates those who come after, of lives touched by war in the fight and hope for peace.”

Member Batfish Living History Association: www.ss310.com

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2009, 12:27:32 AM »
OK, I'm back (been out a while recovering from shoulder surgery) and we have worked on the aft end the last few work days (including today).  Thanks to Ed, Brandt, Jack and my wife for coming out.

The reason we did this was to open the starboard side, but when we pulled off the plywood, the deck was rotten for the most part so this became a priority.

The first photo shows the port side deck removed and supports primered (eventually painted black).  The existing deck is starboard.

The second photo is what we got done last work day, enough to route traffic port and off the rotten deck.

The third photo is from today where we removed the rest of the rotten deck and primered (and painted) the supports.

The last photo is where we ended today.  This will be completed next Saturday.

I've created a graphic status image on the Batfish Website: http://www.ussbatfish.com/Deck_Replacement_Status.html

Mark Allen

« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 03:55:35 PM by MWALLEN »

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 05, 2009, 04:25:57 PM »
Got any new pics from Saturday?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 07, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »
Looking at the counterspring on the hatch... we don't have a ratchet mechanism on COD's hatches!  Must be a BALAO improvement! :idiot2:
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 07, 2009, 05:53:53 PM »
Paul
We have them on the Drum, It may have been an upgrade during the '45 shipyard.
Tom

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 07, 2009, 06:26:33 PM »
We also have them on Torsk, 1 of which is way too tight right now and needs to be reset ;)