Author Topic: Batfish Deck  (Read 232837 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Batfish Deck
« Reply #225 on: April 10, 2010, 10:08:30 AM »
Thanks to Ed, Wesley, Roger, Jason, Brandt and Jack for coming out last Saturday.

We got a nice section of deck done as with this many people we had a system working.

We got the small section to the left and the bigger section forward of the bridge completed.  Will try to work aft and starboard next Saturday the 17th.  Rick is working on getting some angle iron and the uber-drill.

Here are some photos...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »
We pre-cut a lot of the boards for forward of the bridge last year (or earlier).  Hopefully, that helped you guys out.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
That's what we started with, but needed more as we worked across the deck.

Hopefully all will be ready to put up the runners this Saturday.  Rick said he has the steel...just need the uber-drill to punch holes in it.

Oh, work day this Saturday the 17th if anyone wants to come out.

Mark
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2010, 09:52:16 AM »
On the 17th, Rick and I spent most of the day (before the rain hit) removing some old supports and installing angle iron.  Jack cut boards to fit and Brandt worked prepping bolts.  No pics...sorry.

Yesterday, Ed, Jack, Brandt, Roger, Leilani and I came out.  Ed and I initally worked no getting another section of angle iron up and Ed got the next section prepped and that will go up next Saturday.

Compared to some photos a few posts up...compare with what we got installed yesterday.

Oh, another work day Saturday the 8th.

Mark

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 10, 2010, 05:46:46 PM »
Nope,

Nada, zilch,  zero information has come this way....... no worries I don't think that the Torsk is going to sea anytime sooon ;D   

I am TRULY proud of what you ALL have accomplished with your boat especially with the decking, keep up the good work ;)

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
More deck update photos.

On the 8th, Tim, Mark S. and I worked after of the bridge (first photo).

Yesterday, Jack, Wesley, Brandt and I (with help from Rick and a new guy I can't remember his name) worked on the starboard side (2nd and 3rd photos)

Next Workday is June 19th.

Mark

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 30, 2010, 11:19:17 PM »
Hey i got a question for yall why is the batfish outer hull grey instead of black like the other Subs are was it on purpose or something else?
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 01, 2010, 01:38:42 PM »
I know it was black in the 50's...but I don't know when it went "all gray".  will be nice to get the correct scheme back on the sub.

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 01, 2010, 01:48:46 PM »
Ya i know what you mean would be nice to know why they painted it grey in the first place also
I am a fan of the batfish and the U-505 i have been interested in world war 2 since i was little my dad and his father and my dads fathers mother served in wars i am interested in the Submarine war of world war 2 and someday i want to be a marine archaeologist and or a world war 2 historian

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 01, 2010, 11:38:29 PM »
Tomarow ima go see the Batfish with parents its gonna be cool

Offline AVGWarhawk

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 3rd Class
  • Total BZs: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 04, 2010, 03:40:20 PM »
That deck looks fantastic.  Super work!
CHRIS GOSSWEILER/USS Torsk Volunteer/You will find me in the engine rooms.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 06, 2010, 01:56:51 PM »
Mark S.

At this time, I am going to let the subvets continue to raise money for the sand blast.   In the mean time I am already working on a plane to get some paint onto the boat.  keep in mind that this will not include a sand blasting solution.   Something has to be don and soon.   I plan on getting it there.....

Offline BrokenArrowtiger

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 06, 2010, 03:13:55 PM »
Good luck sir its gonna look great when its done the decks looking  great me nad my dad might volunteer

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2010, 10:47:18 AM »
Had a nice turn out yesterday.  Besides me and my wife, we had Ed, Brandt, Mark S., Wesley and a couple of new guys: BJ Jones and Jason (didn't get his last name) and a local state representative (again, I forgot his name - maybe Rick will remember).

After pulling a few board and poking new holes in the metal to reposition them...we were able to get the starboard side open for public traffic (first two pictures) and we also had a team working on getting the old plywood and deck off (last picture).  It was really hot and humid (heat index well over 100) and I appreciate all who came out.

Next work day is July 17th.  This time we will work on the shady side of the bridge and pull plywood and deck, remove bolts and prep the runners.  This way in August we can again work on the shady side of the bridge and put new deck down there.  With the heat and humidity during the summer...I think this would keep us all from overheating.

Mark

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2010, 12:06:01 PM »
Wow! Incredible work ... AGAIN, Mark! Heartfelt congrats to you and the awesome folks who showed up!!

Do you put Thompsons or some other sealant on the wood to keep it from weathering in in the hot Oklahoma sun?