Author Topic: Batfish Deck  (Read 230400 times)

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
Re: Batfish Deck
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2008, 11:38:35 PM »
Hey, that's a good idea...just have to be careful where we cut so we don't cut anything important and don't damage the blade.  That sure would make getting those remaining aft-of-the-bridge board stubs that still remain...removed a lot easier.  I hope that made sense.

I'm for it if Rick doesn't care.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 03, 2008, 09:09:34 AM »
We definitely need to watch for old cables and radio coax before we make each cut.  Also, wasp patrol will help, too.  Give them a healthy dose of poison before ripping down their homes.  Maybe we should get some smoke grenades. :)   Let me know what Rick thinks.

Speaking of which, I'd like to follow two chains of command.  If a project is more reenactor related, I'll go through Correy, but if it's labor/restoration related, then I'd like to go through you.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2008, 09:14:47 AM »
Speaking of which, I'd like to follow two chains of command.  If a project is more reenactor related, I'll go through Correy, but if it's labor/restoration related, then I'd like to go through you.

I've asked Rick about this in an email but have yet to hear back.  I suggested something similar and some way to track who is working on what.  No need to double up on man-power unless it's a big project.  This is all new to me and I'm just trying to figure it out.  I'm sure Rick will clarify.

As for cutting the deck...I'll let you know, but I hope Rick will respond to this thread.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2008, 11:59:32 AM »
I am not against cuttng the deck at all.  Wwe will be cutting around the holes anyway.   further information,  I will have The ROTC kids out again on the 25th..  I am going to have them remove more of the deck.  the did a realy good job of it last time

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2008, 02:11:40 PM »
Hook me up with a circular saw this Saturday and I'll make short work of that deck.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2008, 02:47:32 PM »
Do we need a finger count afterwards?   ;)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 03, 2008, 05:41:41 PM »
From what I have been told by those on Torsk who did the deck work aft and forward that cutting the wood at the stringer was the easiest and quickest way to get the old deck up and IF your deck is teak you may want to consider cutting the wood down to 6" pieces and selling them as plaques so you and your volunteer organization can do more projects (after the new deck is down of course or if you run out of money to finish all of your deck)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 03, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
Here are I hope the pics of the deck work being done in '99 to show infact cutting the wood at the stringers for ease

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 04, 2008, 08:41:10 AM »
Great minds think alike.  Our current wood is crappy, rotted pine 2x4's turned itno 2x2's.  A circular saw will make short work of them.  We plan on selling pieces of wood, but it depends on the condition of a given board.  In the short term, I'm going to have the helper kids toss the wood over the railing or through the limber holes - whichever is easier for them.  It might not be a bad idea to have another saw down on the ground to cut the pieces up and make it easier to use a wheel barrow to haul them to the shed or wherever.

Hopefully, I still have all 10 fingers when it's all said and done.  Do we have 2x6's that we could lay down/clamp down in certain areas after the wood is pulled?

I saw an email from Bradley Wynn stating that blasting and painting would be a 6-month project.  Is that what the current projection is, Rick?  Drum seems to be making faster headway than that with a small group of volunteers.  If we get a professional crew out there, it would be a lot faster.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 08:46:04 AM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »
this big issue here is raising $$$$...

If I had $20k for the deck taht would be a week project.  If I had $160 for the paint that would tak 1 mo tops.  It is my experience that getting all of the papperwork, money collections, and political dancing done takes up 90% of the time in any porject.  Bradley is working hard and I am trying my best to accomodate him.  He has a good drive and thinks just like I do.  I think this can be don.   

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2008, 12:06:40 PM »
Okay.  I wasn't slinging mud or anything.  I was just curious as to what we think is realistic.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2008, 07:36:53 PM »
and thinks just like I do

oh no.... :D

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2008, 10:30:53 PM »
Well, Vaughn won't be here this Saturday but said he'd come out on the 20th.

So I'm going to fix the damage paint on the 40mm and work on the deck.  Am still hoping to visit w/ Shawn if he makes it...I've not heard anything in 2 weeks...so we'll see.

Will be at the boat around 9 am this Saturday.  I think Mark S. is coming...maybe JohnG.  We can at least take a look at the Aft Battery if we need a break from our lumberjack duties.

Mark A.

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2008, 11:40:50 AM »
I am disapointed to hear about Vaugh.   I will be here at 0900.  It does look like we have a possibility for rain tomorrow.  This may be a good day for the after Battery. We will play it by ear. 

Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2008, 11:44:59 AM »
I have a last-minute change of plans.  I managed to finally sell my '98 Chrysler yesterday morning and my van is not out of the shop, yet.  It needed a new radiator and I was hoping that it would have been done by today.  Mechanic hopes to have it done tomorrow afternoon or Monday for sure.  So, I'm going to work on the boat on Saturday, Sep. 13, even if I'm the only guy there (other than Rick).  I just need someone to leave a circular saw in the FTR for me to use.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor