Author Topic: Batfish Deck  (Read 233266 times)

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Re: Batfish Deck
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2008, 02:04:12 PM »
Just an FYI.  I will be MIA for BALOO Training.  (cub scout thing).  Ed Williams has been nice enough to fill in for me.   

thank you Ed

Rick

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »
That's a new one to me.  Is it a weekend thing?

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2008, 03:04:15 PM »
Are you talking about tomorrow, Rick, or next Saturday?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2008, 03:34:45 PM »
The BALOO training is a class for cub scout leaders specificly for camp outs.  It is supposed to make more capable of handleing (in m case) 9 young boys on an overnight campout.  I am not sure what all I will learn, but I am looking ofrward to it.  These kind of classes do help out when dealing with kids at the boat as well as my den of little deamons..... I mean angles...... :angel:

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2008, 03:35:58 PM »
I forgot to mention that this will be next weekend Sep 13

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2008, 04:10:08 PM »
Okay.  So, should I not bother coming down to the boat that weekend?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2008, 01:16:48 AM »
The BALOO training is a class for cub scout leaders specificly for camp outs.  It is supposed to make more capable of handleing (in m case) 9 young boys on an overnight campout.  I am not sure what all I will learn, but I am looking ofrward to it.  These kind of classes do help out when dealing with kids at the boat as well as my den of little deamons..... I mean angles...... :angel:

Do teach me and Joseph these tricks for next summer. We truly had Mommies little dev....angels that one day. All 80 of them. :-\
Almost made me never want to have kids... :knuppel2:
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2008, 01:23:19 PM »
So, what all got accomplished this past Saturday?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2008, 10:35:09 PM »
Sorry I couldn't show. Had to go to Texas. Between this racing and the female going psycho it's hard to get anything done much less get out to the boat. Wow, I sound like I am 40. lol

So ya, what all got done?
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2008, 11:55:22 PM »
It was a slow day.  My wife and I got the 40mm and railing painted after the damage.

We did a little bit of weeding around the SHARK Memorial.

Mainly we worked in the AFT Battery.  Got 3 wheel barrow loads of junk thrown away, then tried to segregate it.  We piled most of the junk near the ladder and piled all the goodies to look at along the port side.  Most of what is left is the old duct work Vaughn removed when he put in the A/C unit.  It's all junk, but more than my wife and I could man-handle up out of the battery...up the crew's mess hatch and then over to the dumpster.

Rick said he's got some younger kids coming that can get some of that.

No deck pulled.  I figured "why should I have all the fun"   :-\
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2008, 08:40:22 AM »
Roger that.  It sounds like it's a good start on the junk heap down there.  We reinstalled the ladder for the gun access hatch in the con during our last event.  So, that's one less item getting in the way in the Aft Battery.  We also replaced some bolts on the crew's mess ladder that were too long or missing all together.  Tim Katzung graciously donated the hardware for the ladders.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2008, 09:14:21 PM »
This is kind of off topic, but last time i was in the after battery, I noticed that there were quite abit of giant copper strip that ran into the battery room that had been cut off and thrown on the floor. Since they cannot be re-attached, and copper is worht so much right now, I though it might be a good way to help raise some money for the Batfish would be to sell the copper wiring, just an idea.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 10, 2008, 12:13:55 AM »
Now thats why you are in college! ;D There ya go Rick, some quick, easy, legit money.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2008, 04:43:19 PM »
Before we sell the wire, let's see if some of the reenactors need it for their battery project.  They plan on making mock batteries in the forward battery hold.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2008, 04:59:46 PM »
Back to the deck subject, with the 2 to 7 inches of rain on its way this weekend from Ike, I'm going to decline coming down to the boat to work on Saturday.  My next attempt will be early Oct. or the first day of our boat work week, the 19th.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor