Author Topic: Wall Clock  (Read 10462 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Wall Clock
« on: May 13, 2008, 09:58:30 AM »
The Batfish yeoman's office and maybe the ward room have wall clocks.  As far as I can tell all Navy wall clocks were key-wound and ran for 2 to 4 days before needing to be rewound.  Anyone know what size key is needed?  Thanks.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Wall Clock
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 05:49:55 PM »
I will check that for you also
Tom Bowser

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 05:58:18 PM »
I will check that for you also
Tom Bowser

You mean the Drum has a working wind-up clock?

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 04:58:00 AM »
Yes we have two or three, not sure if they are the original ones or added after it became a museum boat, ome day we will check the backs to see if anything has been scribed on them. alot of the gages have the boat name and date scracthed in the back so they could be identified if they were sent off boat for calibration.
Tom Bowser

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 09:03:27 AM »
Thanks, Tom.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 05:42:52 PM »
We have two clocks, both 6 3/4 dia face. The key is a 1/8" square hole in a 1/4" dia shaft that is 1 7/8" long. the oval flat piece is 1 3/4" long 15/16" high with a 1/4" hole
Tom Bowser

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 09:13:46 AM »
Thanks, Tom.  I found a set of universal clock keys on eBay for about $10.00.  That's probably the safest bet. These old Navy clocks aren't cheap, either. They go for a lot of money.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 12:01:22 PM »
Expensive clocks?  You bet your sweet bippy!!!  (am I really dating myself now, or what?)  :crazy2:

The Mark 1 deck clock (not boat clock, which is tiny) by SETH THOMAS... and with shock mount, which looks like a empty film reel, that is the deal. There is supposed to be one in each compartment, and each stateroom, and good luck finding them because the NAVY personnel stripped them like animals when the boats were stricken before becoming memorials. We've gotten clocks from the Navy Historical Center, most are not the right model and all are in realllysad shape. These clocks were built to last forever, and they are proving it. That is one reason why they go for so much money. The other is that there is a really old, very well established world of clock collectors who seem to be VERY RICH!

Here again, there may be an opportunity to replicate them... and I am looking at DRUM!  Back in 1992 the DRUM folks showed replica clocks they vacuum molded and put modern day movements in. They looked perfect unless you tried to open the backs! They also replicated 16-inch shells for the BB, and I have a photo of me carrying one into the conference room!

What happened to this program, Tom?

Any chance we can get it running again?

Paul
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 16, 2008, 04:11:02 PM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Tom Bowser

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 06:05:09 PM »
Paul
I am not familar with replicated clocks, I will check on it.
Tom Bowser

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
The BB BAMA guy was also making...
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 01:47:19 PM »
the sound powered phone jack boxes and some other items that went missing over the years.

PF

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 09:16:31 AM »
I tracked a bunch of Mk. I clocks on eBay over the weekend and the auctions ended between $150 and $200.  Definitely a lot of clock hunters on the prowl.  Still, the deck clocks seem to be abundant and new auctions are always popping up.

In other news, a diving horn went for $338.  Wow!  It was not the H-9 model, though.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 05:17:40 PM »
For your clocks contact the Navy Yard also because they have a number of them or at least they used to have them a couple of years ago, I will see if I can find the link to that here shortly.  Paul, for your sound powered phone boxes and other associated stuff to deal with that you need to go on a strip ship and pull them because they will be going to a scraper and they only give a crap about the price of the metal that it is made from.

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 06:01:34 PM »
Right you are on the strip ship shopping mart... only problem is the stores are rapidly disappearing! 
Lucky for us we got most of the missing stuff years ago from Bremerton.

BB ALABAMA was showing off replica cast plastic clocks, 16-inch shells, phone jacks, etc., in 1992 in Galveston. Guess the guy that did it fell overboard!  :'(

PF