Author Topic: 19 year old elected as mayor of Muskogee (home of the Batfish)  (Read 10366 times)

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Just in case some of you did not know a 19 year old college student was elected as mayor of Muskogee Oklahoma the home of the U.S.S. Batfish.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080513_1__MUSKO52803

Rick, you better try and get in touch with him and let him know about the Batfish, as I seriously doubt he knows its there, and have him inform people about it, because i know that since hes so young he has to have some followes around the same age. So if he gets interested in the Batfish most likely his friends will as well. Maybe he can do some wonderful things for the Batfish. Us young people can do some pretty amazing things.  ;)
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
Re: 19 year old elected as mayor of Muskogee (home of the Batfish)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 06:13:40 AM »
Invite him for a sleep-over. Really.

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 08:14:55 AM »
Yeah, I heard about that on SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE this weekend...

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 08:51:25 AM »
I hope Muskogee gets better rather than worse.  I'm told that they have a real drug and gang problem down there.  Thankfully, the boat is on the NE edge of town/civilization.  So, the lootings and vandalism aren't too frequent.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Total BZs: 3
  • USS Batfish's Resident Thug
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 02:36:08 PM »
I graduated with this guy. To be honest I really don't like him. He is your typical wanna be politician. I am really not happy having him in charge of this town. It would be like me running it. As good as his intentions might be there is no experience and life experience to help guide him in a tough situation.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 03:11:57 PM »
How did he get elected?  I'm assuming that he got enough college students behind him that they out-numbered the local voters?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 03:36:59 PM »
Their were alot more voters my age that took part but from what I heard he won by a land slide. I think its kind of the novelty of the idea. A 19 year old mayor.
"If crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?" ~George Carlin

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 03:47:50 PM »
Time will tell how effective he will be.  I'm assuming that he'll have a bunch of teens for cabinet members. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline JohnG

• USS Batfish Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 07:49:28 PM »
Good God I hope not. My graduating class was a nightmare. The average ACT score for my class was a 15. You are automatically given a 10. Mind you his friends were in AP classes, they still aren't what you would want for city leaders. But I do hope that he proves me wrong and turns out to be a great mayor. He has the guts to go for it and he got it.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 05:30:46 PM »
Yup,  I should have known that this would be out.........

The new mayor won with 70% of the vote.  I think the real decision was to go with someone young and new and with a lot of fresh ideas or go with the same old politics that have been running this town for the past mmm.... how old did is this state again?......

The city councel is already working with him and "guiding" him into the functions of the office.  I already begging my councel member/board member to have the new mayor make a visit to see the Batfish and see what a real treasure Muskogee hase. 

I have to admit that I do like the idea of a young mayor in office.  Personally I think that this town can use sme forward thinking.

I have to remain politically correct here now so I will shut up before I say anything more that may incriminate me......  ;D