Author Topic: Looks like we may have a new submarine museum after all  (Read 8134 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Looks like we may have a new submarine museum after all
« on: May 22, 2008, 08:57:28 AM »
What do you think guys?

San Diego Business Journal

Navy Research Submarine to Dock at Museum
By  - 5/19/2008
San Diego Business Journal Staff

Stationed here for all of its life, it’s only fitting that the USS Dolphin will have a permanent home at the Maritime Museum of San Diego.

Museum officials passed another regulatory hurdle this month when the San Diego Unified Port District approved berthing the Navy sub at the museum site on the Embarcadero along North Harbor Drive.

“We wanted to get a vessel that has deep connections with San Diego’s history, and reflects both science and the Navy,” said Ray Ashley, president and chief executive officer of the museum.

Commissioned in 1968, the Dolphin served as a test platform for the Navy’s nuclear submarines as well as a research vessel. “It is the only submarine to have fired a torpedo at a depth of 3,000 feet,” said Ashley.

Getting the sub was a coup. The Navy spent $50 million on refurbishing and upgrades in 2005, but the following year, the Navy decided the $18 million annual cost to operate the vessel was too much and decommissioned the vessel in 2006.

The sub was slated to be sunk off the coast of Hawaii when the Maritime Museum began working to adopt the boat.

Once the vessel obtains a final permit from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the submarine will join the rest of the museum’s seven ships, including a Russian Foxtrot class submarine, and will be moored alongside the ferryboat Berkeley, Ashley says.

The most famous of the museum’s ships is the Star of India, the oldest active square-rigged sailing vessel in existence and both a state and national historic landmark.

Ashley says the museum is attempting to designate the Star of India as a world heritage site through the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, or UNESCO.

“There are only 17 world heritage sites in the United States, and it would be a tremendous thing if San Diego could have one of these,” he said.

Ashley wasn’t certain when the Dolphin would arrive at the museum’s space, but was hoping it would be there in time for the Tall Ships Festival, set for Aug. 20 to 24.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Re: Looks like we may have a new submarine museum after all
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »
Pretty cool, but what is so important about getting a U.N. endorsement?  The less those idiots get involved in our lives, the better.   :idiot2:

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 11:28:03 AM »
I was in San Diego back in Oct for the HNSA meeting. The DOLPHIN was expected then. I was talking to a former DOLPHIN crewman who was not happy with the outcome. He expressed his concern for how SMALL the boat was and that any visitor mods would basically destroy her. I never saw the 555 (hull number) in the flesh, but from the video I've seen, she is a bathtub toy compared to say, a fleet boat or a fast attack.  Sad. And that also means the Russkie sub they got from Seattle gets scrapped!

From what I know about visitor psychology, it won't take long before the visitors start asking: "were are her torpedo tubes, missile tubes, and how many ships did she sink?" The answer will not thrill them.  The research angle may impress the Smithsonian gang (if they arn't too pacifistic), but the public considers it akin to kissing their sisters... 

PF
 :-*
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 11:30:32 AM »
Agreed.  People want to see guns, battle flags, etc.  Even if it's an "enemy" sub.  I didn't realize that they chose the research sub over the Russian one.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 05:42:47 PM »
Well, research subs like the Albacore and the Marlin still have an attraction, the Dolphin should fit right in.

Paul, did you say they'd be scrapping the B-39 Russian sub???  I thought it was in fine shape?

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »
Define the word "fine."   No, sadly the Russkies built their subs out of a special steel that was 70% pig iron, 20% dirt, and 5% Alkaseltzer!  It rusts faster than the paint covering it can dry.  I heard through the grapevine that once the Dolphin was in hand the Russkie boat was history. 

I hate to contradict our host, but the Albacore and Marlin do suffer from the "you mean it didn't kill people?" syndrome!  According to two of their managers, the public generally seems disappointed in the lack of offensive weapons and blood...

My biggest concern is that Dolphin is so damn SMALL!!!  What happens when 200,000 people walk through a Winnebago-sized sub? Damage.  And that is beyond the damage you cause to get the visitors below decks in the first place!

No, they don't want Dolphin there because of her history, rather she is the only US sub available.

Paul
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 10:33:10 AM »
Again,  We all suffer from the lack of knowledge from the general public.  Submarine service is so secreative that it is almost impossible to get any good stories out of the new nukie navy.  I just found out that the USS Batfish 681 went into a Ruskie harbor because the Skipper was "board" of waiting for his qarie.  This is the stuff of James Bond.  Clandestined, ballsie actions taken for the security of our nation.  People would kill to hear stories like this.   

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 01:30:42 PM »
I still believe that a research/test/prototype sub would be just as interesting as any other sub.  Of course I don't think they'd draw as much attention as a WWII battle-worn sub.

I understand what you're saying Paul, but I do think the Dolphin will be fine in San Diego.  If it ain't, tell someone to figure out how to get it on a truck over here to our place off of I-20.  We have the perfect place, just no water.  LOL

I heard a rumor that the Marlin in Nebraska is about to be open to the public again.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 03:01:31 PM »
I understand what you're saying Paul, but I do think the Dolphin will be fine in San Diego.  If it ain't, tell someone to figure out how to get it on a truck over here to our place off of I-20.  We have the perfect place, just no water.  LOL

Hey,  Watchi it now...... :police:

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 03:13:36 PM »
Hey,  Watch it now...... :police:

You guys have water!  :)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 07:29:07 PM »
Just an update.  I heard from a reliable source today that the Dolphin is a done deal, only awaiting approval on their docking plans.  I also understand that the Russian B-39 will remain at San Diego at least until 2011, after which she'll be looking for a new home.