Author Topic: Crew's Mess Porcelain Enamel Fixtures  (Read 8301 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
Crew's Mess Porcelain Enamel Fixtures
« on: May 29, 2008, 05:27:43 PM »
For those boats that still have porcelain enamel light fixtures (with incandescent bulbs) in the crew's mess, I was wondering if you could post some up-close and far-away shots on here.  We have fluorescent lights that I'd like to see disappear.  Thanks.

Also, I've been trying to locate the small ones that go in the CR and CT and they are one-of-a-kind.  Lots of gas station and barn lights out there, but nothing like we have.  My next idea is to try HNSA and navy museums.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: Crew's Mess Porcelain Enamel Fixtures
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 11:10:14 AM »
I'd like to see the fluorescent light fixtures you'd like to make disappear!  Remember, fleet boats got the first fluorescent light fixtures introduced aboard Navy ships in 1944!!!   COD's were stolen by the reservists before we got her (or just after transfer)... and I need to replicate them. They had a mixture in the crew's mess. I'll dig up some photos ASAP of the WWII sub fluorescent fixtures.

Here are shots of COD's bellmouth covers. One has been hung over the bare lightbulb since the beginning of time! (At least sinces 1966). The subs had a mixture of bare bulbs, shaded bulbs, and fluorescents since 1944.  Out crew even made shades for the forward torpedo room tube lights so they would not shine aft towards the racks!!! They cut half the sides off of Number 10 cans from the galley!

PF

Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 11:22:00 AM »
That's interesting.  I'll take some photos this weekend and post them.  We also have fluorescent fixtures in the CR, CT, and forward and aft torpedo rooms.  I naturally assumed that they were installed in the 50's when she was recommissioned.

Our boat has the exact same setup that you guys have with a variety of shaded fixtures, bare bulbs, and fluorescent lights.  It seems more and more that they did the bare minimum to the Batfish to keep her running after the war.  Every time that I think I've found a cold-war mod, it turns out to be original or wartime refit equipment.

The lights in the crew's mess are unique, because they are the long shop-light variety of fluorescent lighting.  They appear to hold two long bulbs (may only be one) and they each have two posts running up to the ceiling.  The starter switches are above the large sink next to the ice cream maker.

The fluoresecent fixtures in the other rooms are about 12" x 6" square boxes and they hold two straight/long bulbs.  Most have a single starter switch, but ones in the CT have a switch for each bulb.  Some work just fine.  Others need TLC. The starters are easy to access and are the cylinder type.

Back to the enamal fixtures, we are completely missing one in the junior officer quarters and there is one in the CT that doesn't seem to work - looks like the fourth picture that you posted.  I think it is corrosion, but it may not have been rewired to operate for some reason.  If it's the latter, I will relocate it to the officer quarters, since the CT has plenty of light.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 11:23:38 AM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:24:10 PM »
IF you can swing a strip ship to Philly or James River Reserve Fleet there are still a few WWII ships here with them, however they are only doing one in the spring and one in the fall now... BUT there is the Reserve Fleet in Beaumont, Texas that has some ships that were of WWII vintage but updated througout the years that you may be able to strip them out of.  Please refer to the Maritime Administration's website as how to get to Beaumont or the closer of two evils in travel... IF I am still here this fall I will try to pull some for you when I go back with the Baltimore Maritime Museum/TVA here in James River Reserve Fleet, Newport News, Va (Fort Eustis, where I am stationed)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 09:01:20 AM »
I'll be out to the Norfolk area on vacation from the 13th through the 19th of Junbe.  Although, I'm not sure if my wife would appreciate me going on a light fixture hunt on vacation.  Also, I won't have any tools with me.  Airlines are really cracking down on the number of checked bags and their weight.

This weekend I will photograph the light fixtures that need some TLC and hopefully you or one of us will be able to track some down.  Most of the fluorescents just need a new ballast and maybe a reflector plate.  We probably have some parts laying around in various lockers - that's how I got the two repaired in the CT.  The ones in the crew's mess work beautifully.  I'll photograph those just to make Paul jealous. :)

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 09:25:20 AM »
Darrin,
How do we get into some of these functions.  We are looking for contacts all the time.  I have a few bolunteers that would be willing to go down depending on timing.   Maybe this can be a group effort 2 boats going on one scabanger hunt?. 

Rck

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 07:15:25 PM »
Mark,
IF you don't have arrangements made for a hotel in Nawfalk, you can stay here at my house on Ft. Eustis, I have a spare bedroom that is open to all submarine vols and submarine vets. It has a queen size bed that hasn't been used much (a friend is currently using it until saturday) and the only thing that I ask is no smoking in the house and you let me know prior to coming here.

Please tell your wife that you sadly won't be bringing any parts home with you and you won't be going on any strip ships due to the reserve fleets being closed to all until this fall (september time frame).  I don't know IF I will even be here this fall because I have requested to return to Savannah, Ga to the 3d Infantry Division and I have also volunteered to go back to Iraq in October. IF that doesn't happen I have any clue as to where I will be at.

Darrin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 07:17:26 PM »
You da man Darrin!

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 08:32:37 PM »
And now for the iceing on the cake..........

I happen to KNOW that they are still here in JRRF and that there are THREE ships that I know of off of the top of my head that have them onboard right now... SO if'n ya want to come down and get them the vessels names are the: Ex-USS Gage (the LAST WWII configured ship in it's class that is still afloat) and the Ex- USS Range Sentinal (former WWII Victory Ship converted to track missiles) and the Ex USS Vanguard (another Victory ship converted to track missiles).. Food for thought with the last two ships, they both served in WWII and they served in various rolls until the late '90s and the USS Gage has been in "mothballs" since I think 1948....... HOWEVER before you make a mess on yourself about the Gage, she has been preped for a SINKEX and she has been stripped quite well over the years to include the group from the USS Slater (the last floating WWII DE) and they have taken a LOT of gear off of her and remakeably she is still able to have power onboard for her lights after alll of these years.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 09:40:10 AM »
Darrin,

We'll make note of those ship names.  We should be able to find the light fixtures out of those three ships.  1MC may be iffy, but no one would want to salvage an ancient 1MC system, unless they were restoring another ancient 1MC system.  I'm looking for thinks like switches, meters, microphones, etc.  Any left-over radio gear would be taking a walk with us, as well.  :)  Sounds like a few of us will have to make a 3-day weekend trip out there this fall.

As for my vacation, my in-laws are paying for our stay at the Duke of York motel on the river.  I very much appreciate the offer to stay at your place in Ft. Eustis.  I actually stayed on the Army base there a few times when I went down to see some of the Army aviation engineers for my job back in the day.  My wife's mom's family are all from that area and most still live there.  Between them and plenty of historical and fun attractions, we'll be busy.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 12:51:19 PM »
Mark,
IF you go to www.marad.gov or google search the Maritime Administration you can get a list of all of the ships in the maritime control, becarefull in getting your hopes up on some of these ships because when you see the term "scrap" "historical hold" "donation hold" those mean you can't take ANYTHING off of them and they will rot in place until either the scrap yard comes to pick up the ship that they paid for or until the time runs out on the "holds" ie historical,donation. Once the time runs out on the holds they can and do try to get scrapers into bid on the ships so that they can leave and be scraped.