Poll

In what order should the submarine museums be listed on this site?

By hull number (currently this way)
By launch date, oldest sub to newest sub
Alphabetically, A to Z

Author Topic: In what order should the submarine museums be listed on this site?  (Read 16053 times)

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Here's a poll for you guys.  Place your vote and help me decide!

Offline Travis McLain

• USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 2
    • View Profile
Re: In what order should the submarine museums be listed on this site?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 09:15:57 PM »
By hull number and Date are kind of the same. Key word being kind of. Since the lower hull numbers cam first, you can kind of judge for yourself.
"Uncommon Valor Was A Common Virtue" Adm. Nimitz on the Marines at Iwo Jima.

"USS Batfish relentlessly tracked down the enemy and in three separate, brilliantly executed attacks, launched her torpedoes with devastating speed and skill and demolished three Japanese submarines."

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 09:23:12 PM »
Well, when I first listed the subs, I figured alphabetically would make it easier for people to find a particular sub.  I wanted, however, to list the subs by date of launch to give visitors a sense of age.

So I compromised and listed by hull number.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 11:05:26 AM »
I'm not too particular,  Batfish should be on top though.........

Actually the people that are looking for hull numbers usually know what that means.  Your average Joe has no clue what the SS stands for much less why a boat is given a hull number.  Alphabetically gives the lamen something they can understand.

And it keep the Batfish close to the top.   :)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 11:09:47 AM »
My sentiments exactly.   ;D

Sepaking of confused visitors, everyone thinks that the CPO quarters is sick bay, because of the sick dummy being in bed - and they've seen too many Star Trek episodes.  Also, the visitors don't seem to read the information sheets taped up in various locations.  I think it's mainly that they blend in too easily with the surroundings.  Especially, the control room.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 11:12:24 AM by Mark Sarsfield »

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 01:19:07 PM »
the visitors don't seem to read the information sheets taped up in various locations.

I'd really like to take down all that taped up material and incorporate it into a new and expanded tour booklet.

What say ye Rick?   ???  I'm going to be expanding the virtual tour on the website anyway, I can easily incorporate it into the tour booklet and then we can take down all that post-WW2 paper taped to just about everything.

Let me know.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »
Mark A,
Sounds good to me.  I have a CD with all that info on it if you would like.  I never really liked all signs and notices hanging around.  I reall want to get the boat back into that feel like the crew just walked off.   This was a low cost and short term solution that I never really liked....

Mark M.
Don't be dising StarTrek.  I treid to put a tranporter in, but could not find enough power.    :D

I would like to change the goat's locker into a crew quarters as the subs did not have a sick bay per say... The farmisist mate does desirve some recognition we just need to find a good venue....

All.
What is the general feeling about the dummies in the boat as a whole.  I know that people took a lot of effot in putting them in, but the guests do not seem to get much out of them.   I am trying to get a general idea as to what the majority feels about this before I address it.   

Rick

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 04:06:42 PM »
What is the general feeling about the dummies in the boat as a whole.  I know that people took a lot of effot in putting them in, but the guests do not seem to get much out of them.   I am trying to get a general idea as to what the majority feels about this before I address it.   

Rick

Rick, why not just make a "New Poll" in the Submarine Museum Discussion board?  Perfect time to try that out.  Instead of clicking on "NEW TOPIC" click on "NEW POLL" instead.  It's pretty simple to make out your questions and answers.  Good time to try out the feature.

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 04:49:08 PM »
Mark A, Sounds good to me.  I have a CD with all that info on it if you would like.  I never really liked all signs and notices hanging around.  I reall want to get the boat back into that feel like the crew just walked off.   This was a low cost and short term solution that I never really liked....

Well, then I can take them down on the 5th and I'll grab the CD from you then also.  I'll start working on updating the tour document.  Have you thought about corporate sponsorship to offset printing costs now that my friend doesn't work for Xerox anymore?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Rick

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 08:42:04 PM »
Sponsorship is still in development.  All we have to do is ask at this point.  I think either Averest Bank of Bank of OK would be good sponsors.   

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 09:17:34 PM »
The tour booklet is a great Idea, I did one for the Drum and donated it to the Gift shop, the idea to sell them at the ticket window so visitors could use it as a self guided tour, the gift shop said their computer is not set up to sell anything but tickets at that window so they have them stuck in a corner and even took down the notice that they were available that I had put up. I posted each page in the appropriate location in the boat so the visitors can read it on the way thru and many of them can read..

Rick if you want I will send you a copy to give you and idea of what I did/ Just let me know what address to use if you want one.
Tom

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 09:28:08 PM »
The tour booklet is a great Idea,

Tom - we have one for the Batfish, but I'd like to see yours and do a comparison.  Send it to Rick at the museum and I'll pick it up on the 5th

Mark

chris

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 09:34:49 PM »
SOME BOATS HAD VERY LOW HULL NUMBERS LIKE THE LIONFISH AND THE LING BUT WERE NOT FINISHED BY I THINK THE BOSTON NAVY YARD IN TIME FOR WARTIME.SO THEY SAW LITTLE OR NO ACTION BUT THE HULL NUBERS WERE LOWER THAN MANY LAID DOWN AFTER THEM

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 09:35:11 PM »
The Drum tour guide booklet is a great idea.  Having the booklet and the pamphlet about the restoration/maintenance fund stored inside the submarine is best.  They give off that unique "submarine smell" for weeks after you go home.  The smell does wear off though.   :(

Offline MWALLEN

• Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 09:37:45 PM »
stored inside the submarine

Yeah, and half of them wind up on the floor or scattered throughout the sub.

We have ours in the museum for purchase...that way if they have to pay, they are more considerate and won't leave them laying around for us to clean up later.