Author Topic: Just asked the $64 Million dollar question on Rontini's BBS... check it out!  (Read 18507 times)

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Don't know how it will be received by the dolphin posters, but I think its the only way most of us are going to get help!

Let me know what you think!

PF
 ???
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Woohoo, Paul is a crazy man!   :uglystupid2:

I'll have to think for a while before I add to that.  :)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
I take it that you're not referring to the Save Our Subs website.  Are you talking about the USSVI forums?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
He's talking about Rontini's BBS:
http://www.messdeck.com/forum/

He made this post:
http://www.messdeck.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7491

I assume it was sparked from the new post on the USSVI website?  I think you at least got people to think some, Paul.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Interesting banter going on back and forth.  It's a good subject to bring up.  I take the same issue with the Batfish Foundation.  They're supposed purpose in life is to raise money for the boat, but her current state of affairs tells me that they have done too little for too long.  Rick and I have concluded that they need to be the ones actively writing grant applications, running lemonade stand, etc.  Whatever it takes to get the money she needs.  Rick and we volunteers have too much manual labor on our plates to worry about more paper work.  We definitely need dedicated, full-time funding hunters.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Paul,

Do us a favor and ask around the USSVI boards if anyone knows of a TDC on display in an officer's club.  It could be anywhere, but some vet that frequents a Navy watering hole may walk past it every day on his way to his favorite bar stool.  Batfish's ended up in such a location.  It's a long shot, but you never know what you'll reel in until you toss the hook in the water.

Mark

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
We should all ask everyone for something like that... you have as much access as I do to Rontini's BBS... wow, I wasn't aware yours wias missing... that sucks.
But I think there are some Mark 3 or 4 TDCs around... somewhere... or at least cases... if not a case could be molded and a photo mural inserted behind the glass face to make it look real...

The man to know would be Rich Pekelney or Terry Lindell (who is the WORLD's EXPERT on the TDC)... I'll see what they know.

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Rich has a Mk. IV TDC case that he might swap for something on our boat.  It would be nicer to find the original and get it back.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
on Rontini's BBS. 

Excelent write up.  I only add one thought.  Most of these subs were set up by USSVI vets.  Granted these were the WWII group, but it is my understanding that both groups have merged into one group.  This is all the more reason to take some pride in what you (the USSVI) started. 

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
I signed up on Rontini's BBS.  We'll get the hunt for Batfish TDC started.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
on Rontini's BBS. 

Excelent write up.  I only add one thought.  Most of these subs were set up by USSVI vets.  Granted these were the WWII group, but it is my understanding that both groups have merged into one group.  This is all the more reason to take some pride in what you (the USSVI) started. 

Ya got it back'ards.  Most of the sub museums were pushed into place by the USSVWWII (United States Submarine Veterans of World War Two), which is a last man standing organization.  My grandfather was a member of this organization.  There aren't many of them left.  The USSVI (United States Submarine Veterans, Incorporated) was formed by a few of the USSVWWII guys who saw the need to have a submarine veteran association that included ALL submarine vets.

The USSVWWII had Chapters, the USSVI has Bases.  Some USSVI Bases have started taking over duties and things that their respective USSVWWII Chapter counterparts used to handle.  As far as the two merging on the national level, I doubt that will ever happen.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
... which is why the USSVI guys in San Diego are having to go through the USSVWWII chapter guys to get approval for us to take one of their 5" guns.  There's still some separation of duties, responsibilities, authority, etc. between the two groups.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
Yep!  And it seems that in some places there are some hard feelings between the two.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
Yep!  And it seems that in some places there are some hard feelings between the two.

This is an understatement.  I know that thee has been discussion about the 2 groups merging.  I was even told by one individual that the fote was mand and completed.  Unfortunately my old timers desease has kicked in and I do not remember the name. 

Either way there will always be seperation of duty and requests to the older vets to keep the political waters smooth.  We fight that here at the Batfish with teh American Legion Post 241.  All things take time and I see tings improving every day.

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Rick,

Have you and Rich P. worked out anything regarding the Roncador TDC shell?

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor