Author Topic: SS-2 Radar Photos  (Read 10739 times)

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
SS-2 Radar Photos
« on: June 09, 2008, 10:56:03 PM »
I took these photos for a game modder that is working on a radar mod for Silent Hunter IV, but I figured that you guys would enjoy them as well.  This is one of the last SS-2 radar sets in the world...

www.352nd-mlha.com/Batfish%20SS-2/SS2%20Radar.html

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 12
    • View Profile
Re: SS-2 Radar Photos
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:15:33 PM »
Batfish got a lot of post-war upgrades!  Do CAVALLA and CROAKER have similar sets? I think so, but can't say for sure.

Great photos!

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 08:28:10 AM »
Didn't SS radar start replacing SJ-1 radar in 1945?  I'm sure that they didn't put it on Batfish until 1946 or even when she was recommissioned.  My point is that it's still WWII technology.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Paul Farace

• USS Cod Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 12:34:42 PM »
Not an expert on radars, but COD has an SD-5 air and SJ-5 surface search....  so Mod 5s were the rage in March, 1945.

PF
Johnny Cash's third cousin, twice removed

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 01:40:02 PM »
I remember someone on the subsim.com boards saying that SV air radar and SS surface radar started replacing SD and SJ, respectively, in 1945.  I thought that we had something from the 50's or 60's, but it's nice to know that it's almost original equipment.  It's funny how some boats have been modified 100 times and others have gone almost untouched.  Batfish has had a lot of external mods, but the interior was practically left alone.  I'm glad that the Guppy mods got too expensive for the Navy.  They unwittingly left us some history to preserve.  On the other hand, the poor slobs that went to sea in Batfish in the late 50's/early 60's were probably wondering when they'd get a better assignment and why they were stuck still working with old vacuum tube electronics. 

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 04:10:33 PM »
Batfish was using both the SD and SJ radars during the 7th patrol.  The ST radar was installed between patrols 6 and 7.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 05:17:04 PM »
So, they're post-war upgrades.  The technology was available during her 6th and 7th patrols, but it's just a matter of priority as to what boats were in line to get the next upgrade.  I'm told that the boats that had not gone through refit the longest (usually the oldest boats) were first in line to receive the latest goodies that came in to the docks.  It was a leap frog system and was a good idea, since the oldest boats would have the most out-dated equipment and would sorely need an overhaul by next refit.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline MWALLEN

• Military Historian / Former Batfish Volunteer
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 11
    • View Profile
    • The Official USS Batfish SS310 Website
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 05:59:34 PM »
just a matter of priority as to what boats were in line to get the next upgrade

could be that or maybe a victim of location...Batfish went to SF after her 6th patrol.  Maybe all the upgrades were sent to forward bases.  Just guessing.  The patrol reports say that structural modifications were made for the future installation of the SV radar during the refit in SF.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Offline Tom Bowser

• USS Drum Restoration Foreman
  • Petty Officer 1st Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 06:07:10 PM »
Drum got her SV and the SJ moved at hunters point in June of 45 after her thirtenth patrol, thats when she got the 5", hydraulic periscope hoists, the washing machine and a bunch of other things.
Tom Bowser

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 09:14:06 AM »
The SV radar used a radar dish similar to the SJ radar, correct?  I know that SD radar was just two small horizonatl antennas at the top of the mast in the shape of a U.  I don't think Batfish has either air radar antenna installed, right now.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

Offline Fred Tannenbaum

• Unofficial Independent USS Silversides Historian
  • Petty Officer 2nd Class
  • Total BZs: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 09:46:40 AM »
Yes. The SV radar used a larger size version of what I believe is called a "parabolic reflector" or curvy slotted dish thingy.

Fred

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 11:55:02 AM »
curvy slotted dish thingy
... that must be what the school kids call it.   :2funny:

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor