Author Topic: Does anyone need spare parts???  (Read 5775 times)

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 17
  • School of the Boat Guru
    • View Profile
Does anyone need spare parts???
« on: June 11, 2008, 05:47:29 PM »
Folks,

I just got off the phone with the Chairman of TVA and they are going through all of the stuff on Torsk and they have made the decision that they need to get rid of our excess or not needed parts, this is a HUGE benifit for some of you because some of the parts i.e. vacuum tubes and other pieces parts (sorry no TDC) will be let go and he wants them to go to the museums that need them and not on Epray (95% or more of these parts have been acquired through strip ships and dedication of our volunteers in buying them on their own).

I have also invited him to come to the board because he at times is our acting COB and he is a major mover on Torsk for almost every job onboard and he is one hell of a friend and shipmate (he was with me on the Ex USS Sunbird when we lost battery power and had to feel our way out of the aft steering).

Now I have been told that they will give up our excess or our parts that we cannot use,  you will have to pay for the shipping and if possible trade some of your extra or not used stuff that we need for what you need if possible..

Lance, I have described this site to those who don't know about it as the BBS for the "knuckle draggers" who actively restore their boats. Thank you for this site, hopefully we will be able to get more information and parts moved to where they need in better time. This site is one of those that I wish that I would have set down and done because of how much I have learned and how much others have learned and that information needs to be passed on to those who need it.

I am going to see if I can't get the Clamagore to get involved here also, I know the ONLY volunteer onboard her and hopefully we can help him in his and others quest to restore their boats before it is too late.

Darrin

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone need spare parts???
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:02:13 PM »
Hopefully here very shortly I will have a list for you all so you can go through it and figure out if you need any of these parts.

Darrin

Offline Lance Dean

• USS Drum Fan
  • Forum Administrator
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 10
  • John calls me "Gunner"
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 06:43:39 PM »
Lance, I have described this site to those who don't know about it as the BBS for the "knuckle draggers" who actively restore their boats. Thank you for this site, hopefully we will be able to get more information and parts moved to where they need in better time. This site is one of those that I wish that I would have set down and done because of how much I have learned and how much others have learned and that information needs to be passed on to those who need it.

I am going to see if I can't get the Clamagore to get involved here also, I know the ONLY volunteer onboard her and hopefully we can help him in his and others quest to restore their boats before it is too late.

Darrin

Go get 'em Darrin!  I'm not kidding when I say for the first 2 months this website was active I sent a minimum of 2 personal emails a day inviting anyone I thought would be even remotely interested in this place.  I had to back off some.   :buck2:

I noticed where "torskdoc" had registered but has not activated his account yet.  I had to tighten up the security here on new account registrations.  When someone new registers, before they can post they have to "activate" their account.  The BBS automatically sends an email to the new user with a link they must click on to activate their account.  I believe this is pretty standard nowadays with other BBSes.  Anyway, I can also manually activate an account if something goes wrong.

Just wanted to let you know in case someone reports having trouble getting registered here.

Offline Rick

• Former Director, Muskogee War Memorial
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 07:24:08 PM »
Give me a list I will go over it with my volunteers. 

Thank you
Rick

Offline Mark Sarsfield

• Former USS Batfish Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
  • Total BZs: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 08:57:53 AM »
The big, glass vacuum tubes will be a plus for the 1MC.  They are harder to find and not cheap - I do have a list of suppliers.

Regards,
Mark Sarsfield
USS Batfish reenactor

"If you have one bucket that can hold 5 gallons and one bucket that can hold 2 gallons, how many buckets do you have?" - IQ test from Idiocracy

Offline Darrin

• USS Torsk Volunteer
  • Chief Petty Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 06:35:06 PM »
Mark,
I know that we have a couple of extra's of the ones that are around the length of a ball point pen and about 3" around and yes they are expensive, Chief Bill had to buy a couple and then we hit the jackpot while on the Ex-USS Range Sentinal and pulled I think 6 of them out of their parts bins (brand new never been used) along with other various tubes.

I am waiting for the list to come back from Chief Mike Eacho (TVA Chairman of the Board) whom I have invited to this site also and hopefully he will have the time to show up and stay a while, chances are slim but you never know because he is on the road a LOT.